From Landlord to flipping how do I make the transformation?

From Landlord to flipping how do I make the transformation?

Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 13 votes

I am a landlord for residential property in Detroit Michigan looking to make a transition into real estate flipping. I need some insight, and possible mentor for some help. Any recommendations

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Iowa City, IA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 10 votes
11y

I think in the last BP podcast they were talking some about making the transition from landlording to flipping. They were talking about how flipping can be a lot more risk. Although there is opportunity for large chunks of money which is nice. You may have come across it already but you might find the following book useful.

http://get.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook/

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Iowa City, IA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    I think in the last BP podcast they were talking some about making the transition from landlording to flipping. They were talking about how flipping can be a lot more risk. Although there is opportunity for large chunks of money which is nice. You may have come across it already but you might find the following book useful.

    http://get.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook/

  • Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Since I'm assuming you know how to find a good deal, the next step is to find out how to remodel. First of all, you need to see a LOT of real estate. Have an agent take you to see remodeled homes in the neighborhoods you want to flip, see what people are doing. Then, go into remodeled homes in neighborhoods in the price bracket above those, and see what they are doing. I like to do a few extras that you won't see with the competition. 

    Next you need to research prices in your market, find out rules of thumb on costs, like how much to tile, drywall, paint, etc. Contact contractors and find out what things cost. Find a house going through a remodel and speak with the owner/contractor. Costs are usually pretty similar job by job.  For inspiration download the HOUZZ app, it's got millions of pics just search what you need.

    Good luck.

  • Chelsea, MI · Member since 2014 · 46 posts · 11 votes
    11y

    I'd say the biggest thing is learning your target market inside and out. Knowing your numbers is key. Then look for ways to finance them-whether that be conventionally, or using HML's and private money. Once you build a relationship with some lenders or other investors to form partnerships, thats when you will really start to see that it is all very attainable. Best of luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Philip Jones:

    I am a landlord for residential property in Detroit Michigan looking to make a transition into real estate flipping. I need some insight, and possible mentor for some help. Any recommendations

    what area are you considering?

  • Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Hazel Park, Inkster, Detroit, Warren, Harper Woods, Southfield possibly

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Philip Jones:

    Hazel Park, Inkster, Detroit, Warren, Harper Woods, Southfield possibly

    Those are all rental areas.  Hazel Park is always going to be Hazel Park.  Inkster is a disaster of a city.  I would avoid Inkster even for rentals.

    Southfield could be good.  What about the SE section of Farmington Hills

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    With those areas you mentioned.  There is only so much meat on the bone.  The closing cost and fee's will eat up that profit very fast. 

    SO how would you find these properties?  If you are a wholesaler and want to start flipping that would help.

    Do you plan on doing any of the work yourself?

    Have you ever done major rehabs?

    Pull all needed permits.  Do not try to do work that needs permits without permits.  That would be bad

  • Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    well I own 10 rental properties now that I did rehab. All homes are in Detroit. I am kind of lost with the wholesale, bank lending, buying and flipping process. Landlording is cool but its a much slower building process.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Philip Jones:

    well I own 10 rental properties now that I did rehab. All homes are in Detroit. I am kind of lost with the wholesale, bank lending, buying and flipping process. Landlording is cool but its a much slower building process.

    Are you wanting to flip Detroit properties or are you open to the metro area?

    10 good for you.  Way ahead of me.  What area's are those in?  Can you just improve them enough and flip what you have right now? 

  • Investor · Southfield, MI · Member since 2014 · 14 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    The value of homes in Detroit right now are rather low so its really just a rental city for the most like you stated. I think more outside of Detroit is better for flipping. What you think?

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Philip Jones:

    The value of homes in Detroit right now are rather low so its really just a rental city for the most like you stated. I think more outside of Detroit is better for flipping. What you think?

    I agree.  Would like to meet up with you and talk.  Let me know if you have some time 

  • Investor · West Bloomfield, MI · Member since 2009 · 358 posts · 306 votes
    11y

    @Philip Jones, you probably ought to look at flipping only in areas where homes are minimum $100K. Mainly owner-occupied areas.

    J Scott has a couple very good books on flipping that are available through this site. 

    A big difference coming from rehabbing rentals, particularly Detroit rentals, to flipping in middle-class areas of the suburbs will be in the level of finish and quality of materials. You should get to know what is considered normal, nice and crappy in the area in which you're flipping. You will struggle to make money if you under-rehab or if you over-rehab.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.