Best way to remove mold?

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Chuck Brickman:
Great comments. I would only add that a 1 to 10 solution of bleach and water will suffice. Also, when using a respirator make sure it offers the right protection. A HEPA filter by itself won't protect you from bleach fumes..only particulates. A combination HEPA/Acid gas may be more appropriate.

Bleach does NOT kill most types of mold. Bleach only changes the color of the mold to make it less noticeable.

To kill mold you need to use a biocide/anti-microbial, and the most important piece of the equation is to ensure that the source of the moisture is eliminated so that the mold doesn't return.

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Loveland, CO · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 123 votes
    18y

    Heavily diluted bleach and water usually. Are you talking interior or exterior?

    all cash

  • GA · Member since 2008 · 173 posts · 16 votes
    18y

    Use all_cash's idea. Bleach and water in a spray bottle then wipe it down. OR, you could call in a mold remidiation team with hazardous chemical suits and pay them $10,000 to do the same thing. I would go with the bleach and water.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    18y

    Lowe's has some stuff, can't remember the name, that does a great job without the odor of bleach.

  • PA · Member since 2008 · 76 posts · 2 votes
    18y

    Try sporiclean.com or killmold fast.com. I have not used it, but have heard many folks who have.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2008 · 244 posts · 36 votes
    18y

    Bleach will get it, then use an oil based primer before repainting

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    18y

    Good Ole Clorox seems to work, be sure to wear a breathing mask when applying as well as get some good air flow and circulation.

    I know Home Depot sells something for like 30 bucks called "Mold Control" it has you mix two containers into an spray bottle. Works ok, but bleach will do the trick.

    I have been able to use KILZ when repainting with some success.

  • Contractor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2008 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    17y

    Always make sure you solve the source first. If you don't fix the moisture intrusion problem, it will come right back, even through KILZ. Go to the EPA website and download the free pamphlet "A Brief Guide t Mold and Moisture in Your Home". Most minor mold problems can be easily fixed by the homeowner.
    If you ever do need to call in remediators, avoid those who use scare tactics to try and force you to sign a contract.

  • Member since 2008 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    17y

    Bryan is right, find and fix the problem first. I have used a strong bleach mixture in a pump sprayer and it worked well. Remeber if it is on the outside of the drywall it is behind it also. Make sure to tear it off and remove and replace insulation behind if on an outside wall, spray the studs with bleach let dry well. Then prime with kilz or zizner primer to seal in anything that you didn't kill. I have seen the 10 thousand dollar remediation work and they just remove the moldy material and spray down with something to kill the mold. They don't go the extra mile and prime the studs. Just remeber to find the moisture source or it will come back eventually.

  • Member since 2009 · 1 post · 0 votes
    17y

    mold remediation specialists make possible every thing for all water & mold issues

  • Member since 2009 · 499 posts · 117 votes
    17y

    Even after bleach, the spores are still there. Best way is face protection for you and a HEPPA filter on a good shop vac. preferably vac placed outside with enough hose to get inside!!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 86 posts · 13 votes
    15y

    Great comments. I would only add that a 1 to 10 solution of bleach and water will suffice. Also, when using a respirator make sure it offers the right protection. A HEPA filter by itself won't protect you from bleach fumes..only particulates. A combination HEPA/Acid gas may be more appropriate.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Chuck Brickman:
    Great comments. I would only add that a 1 to 10 solution of bleach and water will suffice. Also, when using a respirator make sure it offers the right protection. A HEPA filter by itself won't protect you from bleach fumes..only particulates. A combination HEPA/Acid gas may be more appropriate.

    Bleach does NOT kill most types of mold. Bleach only changes the color of the mold to make it less noticeable.

    To kill mold you need to use a biocide/anti-microbial, and the most important piece of the equation is to ensure that the source of the moisture is eliminated so that the mold doesn't return.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 86 posts · 13 votes
    15y

    Actually, the US EPA rep recommended the 1-10 solution of bleach for destroying household mold.....

    CB

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Chuck Brickman:
    Actually, the US EPA rep recommended the 1-10 solution of bleach for destroying household mold.....

    Apparently, the rep was going against his own agency's recommendation:

    http://www.epa.gov/mold/pdfs/moldguide.pdf

    See top of page 17...

    Again, don't use bleach to kill mold.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2009 · 263 posts · 92 votes
    15y

    I have dealt with mold on multiple occasions and JScott is
    right again. The product I use is Moldex which I order online.
    First I wiped it with soap and water, then scrub it with the Biocide (Moldex) for 10 minutes. Let it dry or clean again
    with the Biocide if needed. The last then I always do now is
    try to encapsulate any remaining mold with a good quality primer like Zinsser Bullseye 123.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    IIRC, I have seen Moldex in the big box hardware stores too, in case you need to pick it up ASAP. Sometimes in the middle of a project, you see something that needs to be dealt with before you can proceed, so a trip to the big box store can get you going faster.

  • Ken CorsiniPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Woodstock, GA · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    The method really depends on the severity of the mold problem. If it's just surface mold, Home Depot sells a great product called Concrobium that I have used a number of times.

    However, if the mold has really penetrated the sheetrock or floorboard, I would tear it out. In fact, when I've used mold remediation on a property, they will tear out the affected areas and scrub the studs with a strong fungicide.

  • Woodstock, GA · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Bleach will not kill mold, nor will it prevent it from growing. You need to use something that kills and prevents like Concrobium or Moldex which can both be purchased at Home Depot. You can spray it on or buy a 5 gallon and use a fogger.

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 339 posts · 126 votes
    15y

    There is a difference between killing mold and removing it. I know some have said that bleach will not kill mold but I have read the contrary and even the EPA says that bleach can be used to kill small concentrations of mold. HOWEVER, killing it does not remove it. Many times when there is mold in drywall, wood or other porous surface the only way to remove it is by physically removing the material that the mold is attached to.

    You will also still have mold spores in the air (which is normal). That is why is so important to correct the source of water because even if you kill and remove the mold in the surface, if the water source remains the mold will come back.

    The solution to mold depends on the scale of the problem. If the problem is a big area you are much better off calling a mold remediation company and no, they will not charge $10,000 to do the job.

    In my last house I had to clear mold from a basement and they did an outstanding job for less than $2,000. I confirmed their work with a mold test that I even provided to the buyer of the house.

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 339 posts · 126 votes
    15y

    BTW, page 11 of the EPA guide that has already been posted, refers to bleach as a biocide: http://www.epa.gov/mold/pdfs/moldguide.pdf

    Just saying :D

  • Real Estate Investor · South, FL · Member since 2011 · 66 posts · 16 votes
    15y

    I remove all affected drywall and insulation if its interior. Then will spray the studs down with bleach, wipe it down, then spray it with a product called Microban which is what's used in hospitals and by some mold remediation companies. Of course you must eliminate the source of the moisture first. Also, make sure you have good ventilation, seal off the area you are working on, and turn off the A/C to avoid spreading spores all over the place.

    I've had to rehab a few hydroponic grow houses here and this is what I was instructed to do by a buddy who works for a mold mediator.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    15y

    I used Borax, and also stopped the source of the water intrusion, of course. As far as I know there's been no issue since.

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 339 posts · 126 votes
    15y

    Bienes, I forgot about Borax! However Borax is a great mold inhibitor, it prevents mold from growing back in the same place (after remediation has taken place). It is dirt cheap too!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
  • SFR Investor · Member since 2011 · 198 posts · 61 votes
    15y

    I have used Moldex combined with Boarax with great success in one of my old rental units that did not have exhaust fans for either the kitchen or bath. The mold will not come back if you take care of the reason for it being there in the first place.

    Do a google search for the the mixture, that is where I read about it.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.