This DIY may have cost me ,lucky streak LOL

This DIY may have cost me ,lucky streak LOL

Real Estate Investor · Pryor, OK · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes

We were up at the lake this weekend. I picked up a property right down the road two weeks ago.

   It hadn't been mowed this year (wife said just have someone clean it up) 

I had free help my brother and his wife were down ,so we went over picked up a few tree limbs. They were checking inside 

   While  I fired up the riding mower ,set high as it would go for first mow and had I wired the plastic guard open so it wouldn't clog up.

  I mowed yard then lowered setting to mow again , just before dark hit gravel where drive way slopes and shattered the glass on both the doors on one side of truck. 

They all had a nice laugh!   Wife said I saved a bundle on that one.Then I started laughing.

3Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
11y

unfortunately, a you are going to,find that "door glass" is much more expensive than a windshield. (Please don't ask me how I learned that one )

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
    11y

    unfortunately, a you are going to,find that "door glass" is much more expensive than a windshield. (Please don't ask me how I learned that one )

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    How'd you learn that one?
  • Real Estate Investor · Pryor, OK · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Don Harris

        Called a few places early this morning  prices  on a mobile job is less than $500  for replacing both doors glass on a 2010

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    And your deductible is $500, right?

    ;-)

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Don Harris:

    unfortunately, a you are going to,find that "door glass" is much more expensive than a windshield. (Please don't ask me how I learned that one )

     I've done it too.  Launched a landscaping rock (pebble, really) right through the passenger window of my VW.  The glass guy chuckled when he removed the rock from the seat.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pryor, OK · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    11y

       They quoted me $474 and change. I get to pay..

    I know better than to mow when it's getting to dark to see or I should. : )

      I was going to replace the windows myself and wife keeps telling me to let others do things!  So someone else is.

        My brother is now interested in the place and of course wants it for what it cost me. LOL

    property came with a 10k+ watt generator with  honda motor  that we played with and got running. He wanted it free.

  • Rental Property Investor · Yardley, PA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 561 votes
    11y

    Auto insurance may cover you with a different, lower deductible. Call them.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Red Brown:

       They quoted me $474 and change. I get to pay..

    I know better than to mow when it's getting to dark to see or I should. : )

      I was going to replace the windows myself and wife keeps telling me to let others do things!  So someone else is.

        My brother is now interested in the place and of course wants it for what it cost me. LOL

    property came with a 10k+ watt generator with  honda motor  that we played with and got running. He wanted it free.

    Sounds like your brother could be your best customer, if only he were willing to let you have any profit at all.  Let me guess - he's the younger brother and baby of the family.

  • Real Estate Investor · Pryor, OK · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    @Scott Weaner  All I had on the truck was liability insurance ,no glass coverage.

       Got different quotes for glass and went with the fellow who said $474 he did it for $420,I always try to get things done for a bit less .

    @Linda Weygant  Isn't it the job of an elder sibling to  give, or at least share anything the younger one desires? It matters not if they are six or sixty it's your lifelong duty.  ; )

    Brother took quite a tumble in RE in 08 maybe early 09 can't recall. He's still somewhat shy. Got him to look around a little and so far talking about retesting the water, by slowly wading back into the REI River but absolutely no diving.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by :

    @Linda Weygant  Isn't it the job of an elder sibling to  give, or at least share anything the younger one desires? It matters not if they are six or sixty it's your lifelong duty.  ; )

    Brother took quite a tumble in RE in 08 maybe early 09 can't recall. He's still somewhat shy. Got him to look around a little and so far talking about retesting the water, by slowly wading back into the REI River but absolutely no diving.

     As the baby of four siblings, I would say YES!  Absolutely your duty.  Pretty sure my sisters would disagree.  :-)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.