Foundation cracks & repairs

Foundation cracks & repairs

Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes

Looking at a potential foreclosure property, backyard of house is on a slight decline, as is all the other 5 houses in a row. There are several cracks throughout the exterior of the house, some have even been tuck pointed?.... And cracks still appeared. Any insight on this matter would be great! Structural engineer? soil samples? Should I run the other way? 

House has been on the market for 5 months.   

0Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper Mostly 路 Redwood City, CA 路 Member since 2012 路 107 posts 路 26 votes
11y

I've bought em like this, fixed the foundation myself and made lots of money, don't run just yet... I'm no structural engineer but I can get a good crew to dig under, setup heavy bottle jacks, raise it and fix it... big thing to look for is if its red tagged by the city, then I would run...

See this reply in the discussion

55 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    backyard patio.....

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y
  • Investor 路 west seneca, NY 路 Member since 2014 路 376 posts 路 211 votes
    11y

    hi john. thanks for the pictures. in regards to the rear patio and steps. look at the pipe coming out of the wall. it is in direct line with the worst part of the patio, where the lowest part of the patio is sinking. what you have here is water intrusion. the water is getting under the patio and sinking the base underneath. the steps are based on the patio so it is following wherever the patio goes. what you need to do here is totally tear up the entire patio, steps and everything. re-do the base and put in a new patio. first things first, you need to do away with the water source that is causing this. could be water from the roof, could be from that pipe sticking out of the wall right there. look at the path the water has left on the patio and the grass beyond it. you have a virtual river flowing there. that patio was designed to move the water toward the middle and funnel in into the yard. the problem is, the water is funneling toward the center of the patio but seeping under it and destroying the base. the new patio needs to have the highest point at the house and tilted toward the yard all the way across the patio at a 4 degree angle going FROM the house. that puts the water into the yard at a moderate pace and spread out across the entire patio. the front porch, same thing, you have water intruding underneath the porch and eroding away the base. find the source and reroute it somewhere away from the house. then rebuild the porch slightly tilted away from the house. 

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Mark Elliott your awesome man, I'll be going to back to this property very soon to take a look at where water settles and see if that area has cracks. 

  • Investor 路 Colorado Springs CO 路 Member since 2014 路 535 posts 路 253 votes
    11y

    Whoa, that is some serious settlement in those pics. Yes, definitely get someone out there to assess it. Not sure if it is related to frost heave, the fact that it used to be a marsh, etc., but a local engineer can probably assess what is going on.

    We bought a fourplex in CO last year that had some frost heave issues. The first floor slab on grade had settled a little, so there were some bumps in the floor that we had to address when replacing flooring, but the foundations were fine and there were no cracks in any drywall and all doors and windows worked fine, so we knew there were no settlement issues with the structure itself. Since this house has cracks in the bricks (and you have not yet determined if there are issues with doors or windows or cracks in plaster), it may be having significant settlement issues affecting the structure, which could be costly to fix.

  • Investor 路 Canton, GA 路 Member since 2014 路 727 posts 路 500 votes
    11y

    That's nothing. Come to North Texas and Oklahoma and you can see some real foundation settling and cracks.

    If it is slab construction look for the slab to be cracked under the flooring in that area too running across the corner. As it has already been patched and opened up again, count on a few piers needing to be placed after it is jacked up. Get permits.

  • Fort Worth, TX 路 Member since 2015 路 26 posts 路 1 vote
    11y

    Should foundation problems be a deal breaker? 

  • Doug McLeodPro Member
    Investor 路 Cypress, TX 路 Member since 2014 路 496 posts 路 205 votes
    11y

    @Elizabeth Atkinson

    No way.  In Texas, slabs are often cracked.  If you find the foundation companies that work with investors, you can get good repairs done for less than $150/pier - usually a minimum of 10 piers.  I've had foundation repairs as part of two rental rehabs.  $1500 on a $20000 rehab is nothing.  And because retail foundation companies will charge way more (like 7-10x more), foundation issues are a great way to talk the price down (if they hadn't marked it down already).

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Kimberly T. just further emphasizes get a engineer and price to fix.

    @tony 

    @Tony Gunter hopefully piers in either of the corners and not the whole back of the house 馃様 

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Doug McLeod That's what I like to hear! I'm hoping everybody has passed this house because they see the cracks and backyard patio and look the other way.

  • Philly Burbs, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 338 posts 路 133 votes
    11y

    This shear crack concerns me the most

  • Philly Burbs, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 338 posts 路 133 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Atkinson:

    Should foundation problems be a deal breaker? 

     Not always, but those are pretty severe. 

    Personally, I'd look at it as a building lot, less the cost of doing a complete demo, for purposes of buying. Then make a cash offer.

    Masonry structures don't hold up well to being jacked back up.

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Joe Cummings thanks for pointing that out I didn't even catch that crack, was too overwhelmed by the patio. 

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    Now I'm wondering if I should bypass the structural engineer and go straight to a contractor that handles foundation repairs?? And it seems like this all caused from water not being drained away from the property... Prolly the most common answer that was shared.

  • Philly Burbs, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 338 posts 路 133 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Yanko:

    @Joe Cummings thanks for pointing that out I didn't even catch that crack, was too overwhelmed by the patio. 

     Yeah the patio is toast. Is that section to the left of that crack an addition by any chance?

    That crack is really straight. It looks like everything to the left is going  straight down

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Joe Cummings to the left is the garage, but I'm pretty sure they were never connected like they are.

  • Investor 路 Canton-Akron, OH 路 Member since 2012 路 917 posts 路 477 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @John Yanko:

    Now I'm wondering if I should bypass the structural engineer and go straight to a contractor that handles foundation repairs?? And it seems like this all caused from water not being drained away from the property... Prolly the most common answer that was shared.

     We buy run quite a few houses with foundation issues. I have a local foundation contractor I bring out to evaluate and quote on any project I am concerned about. If foundation repairs are not needed, he doesn't charge me anything to come out. 

    He is not a structural engineer, but they have one sign off on their work if needed, and the provide us a lifetime warranty that I can pass on to the buyer anytime they, strap, peir or replace a wall. 

    I googled foundation contractors in your area, a couple show up that I suspect would give you a free evaluation. 

  • Engineer 路 Edgewood, NM 路 Member since 2014 路 21 posts 路 8 votes
    11y

    Keep in mind that a foundation contractor is in the business of fixing foundations to make money. I have worked with several good and reputable foundation repair companies in my area but I have also had a geotechnical and structural engineer evaluate the repairs before proceeding.

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Dell Schlabach Thank you, I just searched and found a company I will plan to use.

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Gary Landon good point to bring up, as of now I'm simply trying to budget for the repair, to see if this house is worth pursuing. The company I'm looking at claims to have a lifetime warranty on their work.

  • Real Estate Investor 路 Audubon, PA 路 Member since 2009 路 13k+ posts 路 8k+ votes
    11y

    The site formerly being a marsh would concern me. Have you spoken with the neighbors to see if there are water related problems with their properties?  Near my area, there is an industrial park that was built on a marsh. When it rains, the roads can become small streams, and parking lots can become small ponds. Seems the soil might saturate with water quickly. 

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Steve Babiak the house I currently live in, which is in the same neighborhood, has had foundation repair already. I was only able to talk one neighbor across the street, said he has had no problem with water.

  • Philly Burbs, PA 路 Member since 2015 路 338 posts 路 133 votes
    11y

    Whoever built that garage addition scrimped on the foundation. I'll bet it sunk over an inch.

    You might be able to save the house, but that garage is history.

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y

    @Joe Cummings

    The garage is in even worse shape than the house. 馃槕

  • Investor 路 Clarendon Hills, IL 路 Member since 2015 路 89 posts 路 7 votes
    11y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.