Rust oleum tile and tub refinishing

Rust oleum tile and tub refinishing

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes
Has anyone used the rust oleum tile and tub refinish? It seems pretty strait forward if you follow the directions. Has anyone had any issues? Does it turn out as desired? Does it take longer than a day not including final drying Any thoughts or comments are helpful thanks
0Reply
35 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes
    11y

    I have used it and thought it was decent, but your satisfaction will depend on your expectations.  

    I used it on some 'normal' rentals (not expensive / not cheap) and it did the job I wanted.  I did not want to replace the tubs, and the refinished tub looked much better than before.

    If you are using it on a higher end rental or on your personal residence, you may have higher expectations.

    Please note that you should definitely have a lot of air circulation (ventilation) in the room - the smell/fumes are quite strong.  If you are using it in your own home, budget 24 hours at least for the smell to be quite strong.

  • Investor · Allen Park, MI · Member since 2014 · 98 posts · 36 votes
    11y
    Surface prep is key! I've used on a rental and it serves it's purpose. I would not use the product in a higher end flip or rental.
  • Greenfield, MA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Make sure the surface will stay clean and dry for the full curing time.  A couple drips of water can ruin the whole job.  It'll start to bubble and peel, and becomes really hard to fix or do over because you have to scrub off the whole coat to get it to look smooth.

    Also, get a respirator mask, IIRC they're about $40.  The fumes from this stuff are no joke, Just a few minutes of exposure to it will make you feel weird for hours after.

    It does make a tub look almost like new, but it has drawbacks.  The paint is not as hard as the tub surface, it's actually pretty soft.  That means it gets damaged easily and it's harder to keep clean.  For a rental you should weigh the pros and cons of refinishing vs replacing.  This isn't an easy job, it might be easier to replace.  A tub with access to the drain pipe can be replaced in a few hours if everything goes right.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    I too have used this product and was not wowed by its durability.   Another option if you do not wish to replace the tub is to have it lined (à la "Bath Fitters").

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Roy N.:

    I too have used this product and was not wowed by its durability.   Another option if you do not wish to replace the tub is to have it lined (à la "Bath Fitters").

     I regretted doing it & now the 'bath fitter' solution is the only viable option as I am NOT ripping out another bathroom.

  • Roanoke, VA · Member since 2014 · 404 posts · 203 votes
    11y

    I've had good results with the similar Homax product.  I prefer the brush on kit over the spray on kit, because the overspray is difficult to contain.

    Definitely use a respirator, and follow the instructions EXACTLY or it will not work properly.  And yes, they do take more than a day to cure.  Sometimes up to a week if there is high humidity, low temperature, or poor air flow.

    And as mentioned earlier, the end product may not align with expectations in a higher-end property, but will be great for at least a B property.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.