Small profit flip - looking for feedback

Small profit flip - looking for feedback

Investor, Entrepreneur · Greenville, WI · Member since 2015 · 138 posts · 27 votes

This will be my first "quick flip", and my initial thought is that there's not enough profit to justify it many times... but just to get my feet wet, I'm going for it.

I'll apologize in advance for not knowing the proper lingo, abbreviations, acronyms, or even the right way to describe a deal... like I said, I'm new here :D

The house is owned by an acquaintance of a friend, and the friend happens to be a realtor who is killing it in my market. His opinion is that the house should be on the market for no more than 6 weeks before sold as-is for about 120k.

The neighborhood supports houses no higher than upper 130s.

We have a verbal acceptance on ~85k, and after talking to my GC I don't think we're at risk for anything more than 10k before the house would be sold at a minimum of $120,000.

We will split the costs, and the profits. If it's actually listed on the MLS, he would get a commission so we will adjust the proceeds to ensure we both come out 50/50.

$85,000 purchase

$10,000 repairs

__________________

$95,000 invested (47,500 each)

$120,000 sale

_________________

$25,000 profit / 2 = 12,500 each

============================================

There is no guaranteed sale, and we both know that. In my opinion, it's a lot of cash to tie up for not a huge return, but being new at this game... I'm hoping to get some expert and experienced feedback.

TIA :)

0Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 693 posts · 357 votes
11y

The 70% rule and calculating the maximum offer you should be making on properties you're trying to flip:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/11/03...

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/02/1...

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    Hello James,

    So to me running a quick analysis on this property you are looking at anywhere from a (total profit of 12k-36K) 13-36% cash on cash return in 75 days given a 6 week market time and 30 day COE (close of escrow). Which is 63%-175% annualized return on your cash. So this deal is not that skinny by most traditional investment strategies. 

    Of course that is considering you get your 120-130k price and you don't have to spend more than 10k. So your break even point as an investor is if you sell for 120k and spend 22k in rehab/credits then you just traded dollars, or (108k and 10k in rehab)

    My question is how much would a college education cost, or a RE seminar that will walk you through the steps of flipping a house? Anywhere from $1000s to $10,000s. Here you have an opportunity to learn and make money. Nothing makes the learning experience more real than when you have your cash on the line. Every mistake is amplified to a new level. 

    It seems like a good return based on the numbers you projected. I would say do it and do it quickly as "WINTER IS COMING" and I know those markets up there can turn into a Popsicle real quick. So my focus would be closing it and getting it back on the market as fast as possible.

    Good luck jump in with both feet and see if you can sink or swim. 

    Jake

  • Investor, Entrepreneur · Greenville, WI · Member since 2015 · 138 posts · 27 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jake Harris:

    Hello James,

    So to me running a quick analysis on this property you are looking at anywhere from a (total profit of 12k-36K) 13-36% cash on cash return in 75 days given a 6 week market time and 30 day COE (close of escrow). Which is 63%-175% annualized return on your cash. So this deal is not that skinny by most traditional investment strategies. 

    Of course that is considering you get your 120-130k price and you don't have to spend more than 10k. So your break even point as an investor is if you sell for 120k and spend 22k in rehab/credits then you just traded dollars, or (108k and 10k in rehab)

    My question is how much would a college education cost, or a RE seminar that will walk you through the steps of flipping a house? Anywhere from $1000s to $10,000s. Here you have an opportunity to learn and make money. Nothing makes the learning experience more real than when you have your cash on the line. Every mistake is amplified to a new level. 

    It seems like a good return based on the numbers you projected. I would say do it and do it quickly as "WINTER IS COMING" and I know those markets up there can turn into a Popsicle real quick. So my focus would be closing it and getting it back on the market as fast as possible.

    Good luck jump in with both feet and see if you can sink or swim. 

    Jake

     1. Thanks for the well thought out response - I sincerely appreciate the numbers and wisdom.

    2. I feel the same about the education part - I'm not scared to lose the money if I'm making a horrible decision, which I don't think I am... but even if I'm wrong, I'm still learning things I know I want to learn in this business.

    Cheers :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.