Final transaction(s) in QBO to close out a flip

Final transaction(s) in QBO to close out a flip

Flipper/Rehabber · Eugene, OR · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hi many thanks for all the previous discussions on setting up QuickBooks for rehabbing, we poured through the advice and believe our setup and recording of expenditures are correct - now comes the fun part of recording the sale.

What's been done so far:

  • Rehabbed property has been setup as a customer
  • Current asset "WIP" account setup to track expenditures, with sub accounts to track separately: Purchase costs, rehab costs, holding costs, sale costs
  • Items setup and used to record expenditure and post to the appropriate sub account (Zero-dollar check method used) - all transactions recorded against the customer above
  • Classes being used to segregate income and expense for different parts of the business (property management, fix/flip)

To date, everything looks correct - all rehab transactions are hitting the balance sheet and not P&L.  Now - comes the sale.

I assume I need to move the balances in the current asset account down to COGS and record the details of the closing statement.  My questions:

  • Do I use items to transfer the balances from the current asset to COGS?
  • Do I use items to record the details of the closing statement?
  • I assume the details of the closing statement would record the sale price, then expenditures related to closing, loan payoffs etc, netting out the cash received
  • We normally track income using classes, moving payments received into undeposited funds, then recording a bank deposit.  Do we do the same for the net income from the sale?
  • Finally, I assume the transaction to move WIP to COGS occurs AFTER the closing statement as some of the closing costs would be recorded against the WIP sub account for closing costs?

Thanks much for your help - we're big fans of BP and are constantly amazed at the valuable information shared.

-- Greg

0Reply
27 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
10y

A couple things I do differently (there's no right or wrong here, but you may find this a bit easier):

-  I use classes for each property, not customers.  This allows a simple "P&L Report by Class" to provide a complete overview of the business. 

-  If you have multiple types of business income coming in, you can use sub-items within classes.  For example, you may have top level classes for "Flips," "Rentals," "PM," etc.  Then have sub-classes for each property -- for example, "Flips:123 Main," Rentals: 345 Main," "PM: 678 Main".

-  While technically it's correct that costs don't move to COGS until the sale, my accountant prefers that I record all flip-associated costs as COGS (with sub-accounts for "Purchase Costs," "Holding Costs," "Selling Costs," and all the sub-accounts for each of those).  That way, the headache of moving each cost to COGS upon sale is mitigated.  Instead, when I have properties in progress at the end of the tax year, my accountant just moves all the costs from COGS to WIP -- and then can move them back the next year (after the sale) to balance everything out.  This creates a bit of extra work for the accountant (I have to tell him which projects are WIP each year), but ultimately makes everything easier for both of us.

-  When I sell a property, I create a Journal Entry that records Debits of the various selling costs (which again, are already categorized as COGS), record a Credit of the sales price to an income account and records a Debit of the check/wire from the title company to a Cash account (though this could certainly go to a holding account if that's how you prefer to handle it and then move it to a Cash account later).

- Here is what a selling Journal Entry looks like for me:

Journal Entry for Flip Sale

- If you have a mortgage payoff or other costs, you can obviously record those as debits/credits in the Journal Entry as well.

- Once this Journal Entry is done, the project is complete in QB.  The income is recorded, the COGS are recorded and a P&L by Class will indicate the net profit.  Here is an example (using the property in the Journal Entry above):

P&L by Class

Again, not saying that you're doing it incorrectly (your way is technically more correct than mine with the WIP vs. COGS during the project), but sometimes it's easier to take some shortcuts (assuming your accountant is okay with it).

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y

    A couple things I do differently (there's no right or wrong here, but you may find this a bit easier):

    -  I use classes for each property, not customers.  This allows a simple "P&L Report by Class" to provide a complete overview of the business. 

    -  If you have multiple types of business income coming in, you can use sub-items within classes.  For example, you may have top level classes for "Flips," "Rentals," "PM," etc.  Then have sub-classes for each property -- for example, "Flips:123 Main," Rentals: 345 Main," "PM: 678 Main".

    -  While technically it's correct that costs don't move to COGS until the sale, my accountant prefers that I record all flip-associated costs as COGS (with sub-accounts for "Purchase Costs," "Holding Costs," "Selling Costs," and all the sub-accounts for each of those).  That way, the headache of moving each cost to COGS upon sale is mitigated.  Instead, when I have properties in progress at the end of the tax year, my accountant just moves all the costs from COGS to WIP -- and then can move them back the next year (after the sale) to balance everything out.  This creates a bit of extra work for the accountant (I have to tell him which projects are WIP each year), but ultimately makes everything easier for both of us.

    -  When I sell a property, I create a Journal Entry that records Debits of the various selling costs (which again, are already categorized as COGS), record a Credit of the sales price to an income account and records a Debit of the check/wire from the title company to a Cash account (though this could certainly go to a holding account if that's how you prefer to handle it and then move it to a Cash account later).

    - Here is what a selling Journal Entry looks like for me:

    Journal Entry for Flip Sale

    - If you have a mortgage payoff or other costs, you can obviously record those as debits/credits in the Journal Entry as well.

    - Once this Journal Entry is done, the project is complete in QB.  The income is recorded, the COGS are recorded and a P&L by Class will indicate the net profit.  Here is an example (using the property in the Journal Entry above):

    P&L by Class

    Again, not saying that you're doing it incorrectly (your way is technically more correct than mine with the WIP vs. COGS during the project), but sometimes it's easier to take some shortcuts (assuming your accountant is okay with it).

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Eugene, OR · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Hi - thanks for your response.  It looks like we are doing essentially the same thing, just in reverse.  I move my expenditures up to WIP and carry them there until the sale, then move to COGS, you record in COGS, then move up to WIP as you cross a tax year boundary.  I also use items extensively so I can do job costing by items, you have the same defined in COGS so that it shows the same detail in a straight P&L (probably easier) - then you filter by classes same as me to show profitability by property.

    We do both property management and flips in the same LLC, and use Customer:Job:Sub-Job for both - for flips it's FLIP:Property and for Property Management it's ADDRESS:Unit:Tenant.

    I managed to get the closing statement entered and am about to close out COGS so everything looks OK.

    Thanks again for your response.

    -- Greg

  • Wholesaler · Indian Trail, NC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @J Scott If you do things that way, aren't your P&L statement totals off by whatever you currently have in the works?  In addition, it would make your assets incorrect as well.  Do you just ignore this as is not an important data point or ?

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Williams:

    @J Scott If you do things that way, aren't your P&L statement totals off by whatever you currently have in the works?  In addition, it would make your assets incorrect as well.  Do you just ignore this as is not an important data point or ?

    Yes, that's certainly an issue if I do a straight P&L.  But, I allocate all expenses to COGS (even the few things that could be considered expenses, like insurance), so I can get an accurate P&L just by filtering out the houses (classes) that are WIP.

    So, if I'm working on three houses, I'll do a P&L with those three classes filtered out.

  • Wholesaler · Indian Trail, NC · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    Ok thanks. That makes sense. We're just setting up our books for the first time so I appreciate the feedback. We're at the end of our first flip so we wanted to get it right while it was still  simple to fix. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Eugene, OR · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Good to see this thread is still generating interest.  We decided to change our process to that defined by J Scott - mainly to avoid issues related to mixing Balance Sheet and P&L Transactions.  Journal Entries cannot contain both and so we use the "$0 check from a clearing account" method, but I find that a messy workaround when a Journal Entry is really what you want.  We use classes extensively and so recording all flip-related expenses as COGS and assigning each to its own class (or sub-class) makes reporting simple.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.