I need a guesstimate to replace a load bearing beam in St. Louis.

I need a guesstimate to replace a load bearing beam in St. Louis.

Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 43 votes

Can anyone give me an guesstimate on what it would cost to replace a load bearing beam in a basement that is 50 feet long. It would be (3) 2x12s and a new 6x6 post that is 8 feet tall every 8 feet. So 6 post, 8 feet tall that also go into ground on concrete 36 inches deep. Not looking for someone to come out, just throw out a ball bark # on here please.

0Reply
10 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y

    You're probably looking at about $400-500 in materials (about $50 per post, about $25 per i-beam and about $50-100 in concrete).

    And while I don't know labor costs in your area, I'd expect another $500-1500 in labor (three to five guys for most of a day).

    So, in my areas, I'd probably pay $1000-2000...

  • Buy and Hold Investor & Wholesaler · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Wow.  That is 20% of what I would expect it to have cost.  But I will not argue with J Scott.   I Read your books J.   Thanks for putting that info out into the universe.  It was very well received.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Dodge:

    Wow.  That is 20% of what I would expect it to have cost.  But I will not argue with J Scott.   I Read your books J.   Thanks for putting that info out into the universe.  It was very well received.

    I'm sure you can find quotes for 5x as much, but unless there is something complex or technical about the replacement, it really shouldn't be that complicated of a job.

    I did forget about the demo -- taking out the existing posts.  That could be another $500...

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    I always call a number yard if you already know what you want. Don't forget engineering fees, drawings, and permits if needed.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.