Indianapolis - What is the Value of a Garage?

Indianapolis - What is the Value of a Garage?

Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes

Dear Indianapolis BP Members,

Your input, comments and feedback are greatly appreciated on the value ($) of garage in Indianapolis. 

I am trying to assess what the cost/benefit is of having a 2-car garage vs not having a garage at all for a single-family house in the Center Township.  Said another way, what is the added value in sales price ($) by having a 2-car garage (vs. no garage), and how much would the garage cost to build?

I am currently rehabbing a 3 bed / 2 bath property which has a 2-car, detached garage, however unfortunately, it is an old wood structure which is in virtually unsalvageable condition so I have decided just to have it demolished.

I am fine to leave it as a just a concrete slab after the demolition, but I think I should at least analyze if it is compelling to add/build a garage. For your reference, the property is in a revitalizing neighborhood about 5 minutes from downtown and the ARV is approximately $130k - $150k.

So, in short, the questions are:

(1)  How much more would a property typically sell for with a 2-car garage vs. no garage at all?

(2)  How much would it typically cost to construct/build a 2-car garage?

(3)  Are there any other 'creative' solutions which make sense from a cost/benefit perspective (e.g.  carport instead of garage, a modular/pre-fabricated garage, etc.)?

I look forward to the insight from the Indianapolis BP members!

As always, thank you very much for your input!

Best,

Matthew

0Reply
26 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 80 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    I just had a two car garage quoted as part of a larger project in Fall Creek.  Was 25k and that included removal of existing concrete and pouring a new slab.  This was a new GC and the rest of the items on the list were about 15% higher than my normal guy.  So,  I suspect this is at the high end and that a reasonable range is 15-20k,  especially if you can use the existing slab. 

    I don't know if you'd make that back in sales price.  Would make it easier to sell,  though. 

  • Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes
    10y

    @Mike Knowles Thank you very much for your input!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.