My first week as a landlord... Lucky to be alive.

My first week as a landlord... Lucky to be alive.

Small business owner · Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 4 votes

In the Jewish faith we have a prayer recited by people who survive a dangerous situation (http://www.ritualwell.org/ritual/blessing-gomel ) I will be saying it shortly.

A couple of days after my first-ever tenant moved in, I was trying to run a TV cable wire into his unit... Seems I had drilled directly into the main power line coming into the house. The rest is history (lucky I am not).

You live and learn, this is one mistake I'll never make again.

1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Tzvi BalsamPro Member
Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 45 votes
10y

@Roy So 

Happy to hear you are alive. How is it going with the Insurance. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tzvi BalsamPro Member
    Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    @Roy So 

    Happy to hear you are alive. How is it going with the Insurance. 

  • Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
    10y

    When the damage is repaired, I recommend calling the cable company to wire for cable. They usually include this service for free when tenant signs up for cable service or a nominal fee for wiring additional rooms beside bringing it into the unit in one place. This shifts the liability, cost (and safety issues) to the cable company if any damage were to occur. Have tenant call to arrange for wiring cable to the unit when they sign up for service and let you know if additional costs are billed for that service, which you would cover.

  • Agent/Investor · Murphy, TX · Member since 2013 · 542 posts · 304 votes
    10y

    They make voltage detectors that can detect an electrical current through drywall.  Available at most big box stores or Amazon.  Take a few bucks from your insurance and buy one.  I'll never drill a blind hole without one.

  • Small business owner · Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Tzvi Balsam Thanks! Adjuster came by today, I should be getting some help with certain aspects of the repairs... I had to also add some due upgrades to the electrical system.

    @Jeff Bridges Actually, now it's really easy to install that wire... :)
    I had initially asked Verizon to install the new wire, but since it's not a new account they said it's not an option (I can write a whole post about the mistakes and misinformation I was given by their employees in the past week.

    @Todd Plambeck Looking into that now, thanks.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 370 posts · 85 votes
    10y

    Glad to hear you are ok. I used to waste time going to fix stuff. Let the pros handle that. Your time is better spent elsewhere.

  • Small business owner · Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    @Les Jean-Pierre Thank you. I do plan on using PM's in the future, this particular property is one I will be managing myself.

  • Small business owner · Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    I guess this should have gone into the "don't do it yourself" forum if there was one...

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 137 votes
    10y

    @Roy So

    Yes they do not tell you about any of this when the gurus sell you the books and tapes regarding buying rental units and all the moving parts involved. Guess I will just stick to land flipping. I am sure you have insurance on this? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.