contractor lies

contractor lies

Bremerton, WA · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes

Frustration is building on my first flip.  I hired the lowest priced contractor out of three (learning that really is a bad idea) and he claimed he's never taken longer than 5 weeks to do any job and certainly wouldn't take longer than 6 on mine.  I got about 3 solid weeks out of his crew until it seemed his progress was slowing to a crawl.  I had got in the habit of only stopping by the house once a week because he seemed motivated to continually make progress as he promised at least 2 workers/8 hours a day.  Well the first sign of trouble happened when a week went by where the only difference was the drywall was in progress on the walls.  I questioned it as nice as possible and he went on to explain drywall is very difficult to get right, especially on this house.  I accepted his answer and waited close to another week to check again and saw that the only difference was the ceiling was textured.  Again I politely questioned it and accepted another excuse and just vowed privately to check the house more often to ensure signs of progress.  Checking daily, it was obvious he had either not had anyone show up or did very little.  The trend continued up to the point it was 8 weeks in and he asked for a $5000 advance on the final payment I would owe him (I had given him 2/3 payments to this point with the agreement being he would get the 3rd at finish).  This obviously made me uncomfortable due to him being way behind with no end in sight (Other than his horrible time line guesses) so I decided to offer an addendum to our original agreement.  (This proved to be a horrible mistake as it just ruined our relationship and made him bitter toward me to this day).  The addendum basically put a due date on the end of the project (his estimate +1 week) which would then accumulate a daily penalty of $50 a day off the final price owed to him in return for his $5000 advance.  After dealing with his temper tantrum I gave in to his $5000 advance without the addendum. which motivated him for about a week and now it's back to excuses and lies.


Currently I would owe him about $10k upon completion. My first instinct is and has been to let him go and accept the loss but it seems every other contractor in the area is tied up for at least a month before being able to start any new work.  Plus I gave him an out of contract $4000 (half of an agreed $8000) to purchase siding which he claimed was ready for pick up 3 weeks ago but now saying the company doesn't have it available yet.  My second instinct is to look in to legal action as I have everything in contract from his agreed working hours to estimated time line but in truth this seems like more headache than i want to deal with.  I really just want him to finish the job but he's claiming that he's already going to take a loss on it so I don't have much faith that he cares to get it done any time soon.  

I'm really not sure what I should do.  I have a 5 month hard money loan that will jump up in fees and percentages significantly after that time.  The project is 13 weeks in so with the time it will take to find a buyer and close, even if i could list today, will likely go past the 5 month mark.  Any advice or comments is appreciated.

0Reply
16 views

Most Popular Reply

Oak View, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 21 votes
10y

Welcome to BiggerPockets!

Unfortunately, it sounds like you are learning the hard way about "stupid contractor tricks" and writing and enforcing contracts and schedules to keep them honest. This treatment (to a lesser extent) is something to expect from all contractors- Greece why you only believe 10% of what they tell you.

My (totally unofficial, free, no warranties expressed or implied) opinion is that you should cut this contractor loose and either find a GC willing to bump you up in the queue in exchange for a cost premium, or learn to do it yourself. Trying to work with this contractor will just add pain and suffering to your life.

PS- if a contractor is "bitter" because you offered a penalty clause, DON'T believe him. He's either mad you won't let him skate on his responsibilities, or it's a show. If it's not coming to blows, he's not actually that affected.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    What is left to do besides siding? Might be worth hiring some subs, have it completed and then go after him for the funds later. Any work you can personally do yourself (painting, etc) now is the time to head to the property and put in some sweat equity.

  • Oak View, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

    Unfortunately, it sounds like you are learning the hard way about "stupid contractor tricks" and writing and enforcing contracts and schedules to keep them honest. This treatment (to a lesser extent) is something to expect from all contractors- Greece why you only believe 10% of what they tell you.

    My (totally unofficial, free, no warranties expressed or implied) opinion is that you should cut this contractor loose and either find a GC willing to bump you up in the queue in exchange for a cost premium, or learn to do it yourself. Trying to work with this contractor will just add pain and suffering to your life.

    PS- if a contractor is "bitter" because you offered a penalty clause, DON'T believe him. He's either mad you won't let him skate on his responsibilities, or it's a show. If it's not coming to blows, he's not actually that affected.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Offering an advance like that to a contractor who is already slow is a big red flag.  Means he is having money issues.  Maybe he can't get the work done because he hasn't been paying his workers.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    I too am curious if this man is licensed and insured

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    @Jeff Brandfas I've been in a similar situation the one time I tried to use a GC (who came highly recommended by the way). It happens. If it's any consolation though, it's going to be a good learning experience for you. 

    At this point, I think it's highly unlikely he is going to finish the job and he's just trying to get as much money from you before he completely pulls the plug. So do NOT pay him any more money.

    I would also seriously consider firing him and either finishing the work yourself, sub out what you can/need to, and/or find another GC to help you get the project to completion. I realize other contractors are booked a month out, but the longer you wait this out the further behind you're going to get. So I'd recommend making changes sooner rather than later. 

    Good luck.

  • Dave KushPro Member
    Frankfort, IL · Member since 2022 · 204 posts · 132 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Marc W.:

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

    Unfortunately, it sounds like you are learning the hard way about "stupid contractor tricks" and writing and enforcing contracts and schedules to keep them honest. This treatment (to a lesser extent) is something to expect from all contractors- Greece why you only believe 10% of what they tell you.

    My (totally unofficial, free, no warranties expressed or implied) opinion is that you should cut this contractor loose and either find a GC willing to bump you up in the queue in exchange for a cost premium, or learn to do it yourself. Trying to work with this contractor will just add pain and suffering to your life.

    PS- if a contractor is "bitter" because you offered a penalty clause, DON'T believe him. He's either mad you won't let him skate on his responsibilities, or it's a show. If it's not coming to blows, he's not actually that affected.


     All of this is great, and just wanted to emphasize the PS.  Try not to let any vendors emotional outbursts from taking you off the target. Easier said than done, but temper tantrums are a negotiation tactic. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.