Is it worth pursuing builders license for investment properties?

Is it worth pursuing builders license for investment properties?

Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 7 votes

I'm wondering if any investors who started out as DIY'ers on their first properties (or all) pursued a builders license, did the work off the record or perhaps have any insight into the thought altogether? 

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI and it's hard to find bad help here let alone good contractors with all of the crazy progress our city is making. Everyone is SWAMPED. If I had a dollar for every time a contractor has bailed on an appointment or job...

I've done almost all the work on one property myself and saved myself tens of thousands of dollars but if I continue to buy then I legally can't work on the next one unless I live in it. I'm also interested in the idea of having that license since I could then bid and perform other jobs (not likely with time constraints but maybe someday!). Besides, I already have the Lead based paint certification which is a part of the process anyway. 

It seems like the knowledge from the class, the license and the $500 it'll roughly take would be well worth it. 

Thanks for any input! 

0Reply
14 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Freeport, MI · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 42 votes
    9y

    take the class.  The class that I took was not all that educational and most of it is common sense.  But if you are going to work on your own properties and you want to do things by the book its worth it.  The ability to pull the permit and complete the project is what its all about.  Good luck with the class and test, for you it shouldn't be a problem.

  • Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 611 votes
    9y
    Sean Larson I have been bouncing this around for awhile because I have some unlicensed contractors that do good work so would like to cover then under my insurance. Also its nice because you can setup contractor discounts. For example I can get a pallet of sod for 200 bucks versus 600.
  • Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Thanks guys and "hey" Justin!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.