Do you pay the buyer's agent a commission on your flips?

Do you pay the buyer's agent a commission on your flips?

Investor · Sapulpa, OK · Member since 2013 · 146 posts · 50 votes

I'm an investor who also has my real estate license. My primary focus has been on rentals. Now I'm switching gears and focusing on flips.

How have other agents, who do their own flips, agreed on a commission with another agent if you are both the owner and agent of the property being sold? I'm assuming you're not paying yourself a commission (except what you owe your broker) since you're keeping all the profit from the sale. Are you paying the buyer's agent 3% or doing something different?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 184 votes
9y

I use snapflatfee.com who is also a bigger pockets member Jorge Zea. The deal with them is a flat fee of 100.00 total to list on the MLS and they list it with all the FSBO sites and I use my own number with them so all prospective buyers have to call me to give them lockbox codes so I have full control of the listing. I also have the ability to sell the house myself as an owner. You can offer what you want to buyers agent and I have been offering 3%. If the property sells that is all I pay. I just sold one last week with a buyer that I showed it to myself so there was no commission paid except for the $100.00 flat fee. Great program and easy to change the listing, upload new photo's, etc. Win-win for me. I know he is registered in two states so worth a look. I am quite satisfied with the program.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan MurdockPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Offer a competitive commission for your area. If a common rate in my area is 2.4% for buyers agents I may even offer 2.5-3% just to stand out a little more.

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    I agree with @Ryan Murdock!

    If it's not selling you could also put a selling agent bonus on the listing for an acceptable offer. You may also want to consider offering a home warranty to help sell the property.

    Best of luck.

    - Dave

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2014 · 378 posts · 184 votes
    9y

    I use snapflatfee.com who is also a bigger pockets member Jorge Zea. The deal with them is a flat fee of 100.00 total to list on the MLS and they list it with all the FSBO sites and I use my own number with them so all prospective buyers have to call me to give them lockbox codes so I have full control of the listing. I also have the ability to sell the house myself as an owner. You can offer what you want to buyers agent and I have been offering 3%. If the property sells that is all I pay. I just sold one last week with a buyer that I showed it to myself so there was no commission paid except for the $100.00 flat fee. Great program and easy to change the listing, upload new photo's, etc. Win-win for me. I know he is registered in two states so worth a look. I am quite satisfied with the program.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y

    Yes you have to pay the buyers agents commission. Pay what is consummate in your market. Most markets 2.5%-3% is the going rate.  I also pay myself a commission on my flips. Most brokerages will require that you do pay yourself a commission, but most will give you a break on the split for your own properties. 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
    9y

    I always pay the buying agent for any of my properties the full 3% as without them I wouldn't sell the property in a timely fashion. 

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2016 · 145 posts · 67 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Charlie DiLisio for using us and for your comments. As @Russell Brazil mentions, you have to offer a commission to buyer's agents to get listed in the MLS. We also list a lot of properties for Realtors like him and they avoid having to pay the split to their own Broker (most don't give agents a break on your own deals as his broker does). Unfortunately we are only in FL, MA, CT and CA for now.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.