Real Estate Agent · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 44 posts · 17 votes
All:
I am reaching out to figure out the best paint scheme and approach to this interesting living room. Here are my thoughts and questions on this:
1) It would seem doing something in the grey or beige safe spectrum of colors would be wise, I did "Teepee Brown" on the last house, and would like try a light gray / greige color
2) Grey seems like it might clash with the red brick, this brings me to 3)
3) I am wondering whether or not to paint / cover the brick features shown in a white / stucco material - this will add a small amount of cost
4) Note there is 3/4" Oak Floor underneath the carpet, which will reveal and fix up towards the end
5) At first I considered trying to demolish the brick planter, but after more consideration it will be cheaper and easier to "roll with" the feature... One suggest was to put a little waterfall in it, perhaps an indoor vine going up the poles...
Im just looking for suggestions on how to handle paint / look to maximize saleability, I can do the same wall paint color in the other rooms if I get it worked out in this family area.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
I like the current color. Grey paint doesn't appeal to me at all. The restored hardwood floors would look nice with something in the warm white spectrum on the walls.
About the brick. It appears to be clean and in good shape, on the fireplace, planter, and on the exterior of the building. I like red brick, many people do. New owners could go either way with it if you leave it as is. If you paint the brick, you limit the options for the new owners. Once brick gets painted, it's harder to maintain.
The current features make this property unique. I would work with that, instead of against it.
Investor · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
9y
I like the current color. Grey paint doesn't appeal to me at all. The restored hardwood floors would look nice with something in the warm white spectrum on the walls.
About the brick. It appears to be clean and in good shape, on the fireplace, planter, and on the exterior of the building. I like red brick, many people do. New owners could go either way with it if you leave it as is. If you paint the brick, you limit the options for the new owners. Once brick gets painted, it's harder to maintain.
The current features make this property unique. I would work with that, instead of against it.
Shenandoah Valley, VA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 35 votes
9y
agreed, don't paint the brick. you can allow the new owners to make that decision, or maybe dye it to be a more modern color like a darker brown or darker gray (i'm not a fan of red brick inside). and paint the bright brass black. but i LOVE the mid century style, it's very cool! here is some pinterest stuff on similar fireplaces. though a lot of people just paint them white. i hate painted brick personally. here is a great dyed gray one that looks like yours.
Investor · Sewickley, PA · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 32 votes
9y
another painted brick "no vote" here. Also, brick is difficult to paint well. I have mixed feelings about the planter. If you leave it, I would take the dirt out of it and cover the top.
Shenandoah Valley, VA · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 35 votes
9y
i actually love the planter and if you stage the house you should have some lush plants in there. that thing is cool! here are some pinterest pins of indoor planters that look cool.