• Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Contractor Dilemma - Advice?

Ericka G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jun 19 2017, 10:45
Recently added a bathroom and closet to a rental property - work was mediocre (largely due to GC subcontracting out to someone shady) but everything got done and works - tenants move in this weekend. Here's the dilemma, I (stupidly) Ieft a family heirloom quilt hand-made by my great -grandmother draped on a chair in the living room and the workers decided to use it to clean up waste in bathroom install. I came in one day to find it sodden on floor of shower. The GC then took the quilt to get it washed. I paid for half of the job up front. They finished the last small touches last week and now want the remaining half. My quilt was returned to me in terrible shape - they CUT parts out that I guess were too badly stained. My mother has a conniption every time I mention this situation. This is something that cannot be fixed. So, while I see that they did the work, they also took and damaged something of mine that is irreplaceable. Would I be justified to deduct a portion of their payment in compensation for the destruction of my quilt? I'm leaning towards paying them since they did do the work BUT am curious how others have handled situations involving damage to personal property?

Loading replies...