What is your sequence of events on a deal?

What is your sequence of events on a deal?

Flipper/Rehabber · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 72 votes

Hey all,

Been reading for some time, but first time poster.  Brief context, we've owned one rental property since 2014 - though I didn't know it at the time, it was in essence a rehabbed turnkey property. It's been a good overall experience, but not the margins I know now I should be aiming for. 

Having said this, as I've learned more about REI, I'm much more interested in the brrrr method as well as maybe a flip here and there. In fact I've made multiple offers in the past few weeks - they were all rejected except one that is in limbo on an REO currently. My question has to do with your all's usual sequence of events, namely when it comes to getting a bid for the rehab:

Scenario A: say it is a lead from a direct mail situation - do you submit an offer first thing once locked into a convo with a seller just based on your general experience of sq ft, ARV, general rehab for the size etc, or do you tell them that your offer price depends on getting a rehab estimate first, meaning you would also ask the seller to get access to the house during negotiations before an official offer is made?

Scenario B: say it's more of a standard situation - do you typically try to bring a contractor out with you during your showing(s) before making an offer, or try to bring contractors out to the property to get multiple bids after a contract is locked in during the "inspection/due diligence period"?

My realtor is fairly experienced with investment properties so he's been helping with estimates, but moving forward I will have to vet out other contractors. The other problem I'm running into is how quickly everything moves, especially from the MLS...all these factors lead to my questions above so I can move as efficiently and wisely as possible.

Thanks for your time,

Tae

0Reply
13 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Here's a general overview of the deal process:

    1. Find a Prospective Rehab Property
    2. Perform Quick Analysis to Determine if #'s Make Sense to Walk the Property
    3. Perform Initial Property Walkthrough & Inspection
    4. Create a Detailed Estimate of Repairs
    5. Analyze the Maximum Purchase Price you should offer for the Property
    6. Make an Offer / Negotiate Offer with Seller

    After Deal Acceptance

    1. Develop detailed Scope of Work for contractor proposals
    2. Establish Inspection/Contractor Walkthrough Date - Try to have everyone show up on one date & time if possible
    3. Solicit contractor proposals
    4. Receive contractor proposals
    5. Make go/no-go decision to purchase the property

    Of course these steps aren't hardened rules that need to be followed to the letter, but it should give you an idea of what to do.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Thanks so much for laying that out Bob. The most obvious area of inexperience for me is the actual self-estimating of the rehab costs as I have very little background in that area. So I take it from your process, you are obviously experienced enough to come up with a detailed estimate on the front end when you yourself walk through the property. That's where it'll just take time for me to learn how to do that.  In the meantime, for starters, would you recommend that I take a contractor with me even on the first walkthrough given my lack of experience?

  • Real Estate Agent/Investor · Peoria, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Yes, you should take a contractor with you even on the 1st walkthrough. They may charge you like $50 for their time, but you're going to want to pick their brain and understand how much things cost and how long it takes to fix. I recommend reading the Book on Estimating Rehab Costs by J Scott. From there, use the knowledge from the book to look at pictures online and start evaluating the costs on the properties on your own so you get a feel of what to look for and how to estimate the costs of the repairs.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Thanks for all your input and advice Bob, I really appreciate it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    Bob is spot on with all his advice. Overtime you will want to shorten that process so you can make quicker decisions and in result be a more competitive buyer. Eventually you'll get to this: 

    1. Find property 

    2. Spend 30mins-1hr walking property and develop round rehab estimate that you'll use to make offer

    3. Make offer/negotiate - some houses/situations will warrant contingencies and others will not. You'll eventually get a feel for this. 

    After deal acceptance 

    1. Perform 2nd walk through and create detailed sow and budget

    2. Meet contractors confirm/adjust budget and sow as necessary 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2017 · 130 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    Christopher, I am hoping I can get to that level of efficiency sometime in the future sooner rather than later for sure!  The whole coming up with my own initial scope of work aspect is the part I will struggle the most with. 

  • Jake ThompsonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Albany, OR · Member since 2015 · 312 posts · 136 votes
    9y

    Awesome question Tae! I am looking for my next investment to be a flip as well. I am currently learning more about the process since I've never done one, so this advice is awesome for me too. Thanks Bob! (Tagging never seems to work in the app)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.