Which stainless steel kitchen appliance suites are popular?

9 Replies

My first rehab is currently underway. Very exciting!

I'm in the process of looking for a stainless steel kitchen appliance suite. I'm looking for one that is popular among home buyers but also won't break the bank. I have been browsing the Home Depot and Lowe's Hardware sites and there are quite a few options. It is looking like I'll be spending around $2,000, give or take, for the refrigerator, dishwasher, stove / oven.

Is that about what you all spend when doing your rehabs? Do some of you go these scratch and dent route? Just with nothing visible? If so how do you go about that? I'm assuming buyers want to see that these appliances are all the same brand?

Thank you for any advice!

@Brian H. We go with the cheapest stainless steal package but normally are paying about 1700. I know many people that would disagree but for a middle class home we will just get a top down fridge instead of french door. Most people just want new and if they don't like the fridge they can throw the one we provide in the garage and get another. In my experience as long as it is brand new appliances it will not kill the deal. I also know many investors that do not supply, which I disagree with because I believe the FHA and VA buyers are the ones most likely to overpay because they are buying a house with max leverage and also they often do not have the money to buy appliances. In the end you will likely have to pay for it anyways. The only time I would upgrade the appliances at all is if it is a high end home I may do side by side, or if there is a big sale on a higher end appliance I may pay 10% more but in general I'd rather spent 1700 on appliances and 300 on light staging than just spending $2000.

@Brian H. what is the ARV/end product? I never match appliances. If the price works out that way, then they match. I don't think most buyers would notice them being different brands. Did you already order cabinets? If so what size did you plan for, 30", 33", 36"?

I usually drive around to Lowes looking for scratch and dent or custom order return deals. I like Lowes better than HD for these because they are more willing to negotiate and they deliver. But I always check HD too. IF I don't find anything there, then I go up to the "Sears" appliance outlet near Cleveland, and I'll also check out craigslist. I always get vent hoods on ebay. Usually I come in around 1200 for Fridge/Range/DW/hood. I'm doing buy and hold apartment rehabs not flips.

I just put all new appliances in a flip.  I got them on special right before Christmas.  I think the total cost was about $3000.  The house is more than 100 years old and we took it to the studs.  Normally I would not have done appliances but in this case it was important to show how the kitchen would work with nice appliances.

Remember to order appliances early.  If they are special, expect them to be on back order and take a little longer.

Of course, it is all about price range.  In rentals I think free appliances from craigslist are great.  It amazes me how many people will buy a $700,000+ house and put the appliances on craigslist for free because they do not like the color.

For $2K go with Whirlpool or GE.  Most investors in my area use Frigidaire, and I will too in cheaper houses, but they look cheaper and just have a cheap stigma to them, IMO. Maybe I am an appliance snob though. Instead if driving around all day to save $150 bucks find the local dealer that supplies to builders. My local dealer will piggyback me onto their tract builder pricing. It doesn't save as much as you'd think but it makes it easy to price, same dimensions, and easy delivery and set-up. 

I would look at the market. If homes in your price range are selling with white appliances, any stainless you put in will likely be taken well. However if your completion is putting in Vikings stoves or getting crazy in that regard you’ll likely have to adjust your selection.

We just got a price match at Best Buy for 4 Samsung appliances for $2100 free delivery.

Originally posted by @Brian H. :

My first rehab is currently underway. Very exciting!

I'm in the process of looking for a stainless steel kitchen appliance suite. I'm looking for one that is popular among home buyers but also won't break the bank. I have been browsing the Home Depot and Lowe's Hardware sites and there are quite a few options. It is looking like I'll be spending around $2,000, give or take, for the refrigerator, dishwasher, stove / oven.

Is that about what you all spend when doing your rehabs? Do some of you go these scratch and dent route? Just with nothing visible? If so how do you go about that? I'm assuming buyers want to see that these appliances are all the same brand?

Thank you for any advice!

My wife got me to buy a fridge with a keurig built into it after we renovated our personal house last year. I thought that was a pretty cool feature but unnecessary at 1st.  Now I wouldn't wanna live without that thing. The kitchen  baths are the most important rooms of the house. They always say kitchens & baths sell homes, that is the truest saying in the industry. I say you go all out in your appliance package. Your buyers are usually sold or not sold before they leave the kitchen.

Look at your comps as to what you have to meet and beat.  While I look at the returns/clearance at HD/Lowes I usually plan on 1800-2100 with a bundle depending on what's available and that is about what is expected in my neighborhoods. I'm seeing a lot of Samsung because that's what what's on sale at HD.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here