How do you find trustworthy, affordable, licensed contractors?

How do you find trustworthy, affordable, licensed contractors?

Investor · Vienna, VA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Hi, after about 20 nearly trouble-free flips, I've finally run into a mess of problems with contractors and am finding myself in need of some new ones.  I would like to have at least 3 reliable ones I turn to.  They must be licensed (or have licensed friends/partners that they can work under), do decent work, and be reasonably priced.  If you've had success at consistently finding good contractors that fit this description, I would love to hear how you've found them.  Thanks in advance!  Ken

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 122 votes
8y

@Ken Sypal Feel fortunate that you have had 20 trouble free flips.  Personally whenever I have a great contractor I know in a short period of time they are going to move on because they are going to find clients that they can charge more if they do great work, as most of my contractors I use are priced very well.  I think you deep down know what to expect out of a good contractor, and you probably know as well as many of us that good contractors are hard to find so when you find them do your best to hold on to them or keep them happy.  I often run into contractors that do not have alot of references I can truly verify and many times I need them last second if I'm trying someone out brand new and not known to me, so what we resort to is giving them a tryout with no money down.  At the end of a few hours of work or a maybe a day we or one of our other contractors examine their work to see if it's up the quality that we believe.  We are up front that the work has to be quality or they will not make it to the next days worth of work.  In most cases, except one the contractor does a good job the first time we use them.  If they are showing signs of cutting corners or we have to micro manage them then we cut them at the end of the job as we know it's only to get worst going forward. 

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 122 votes
    8y

    @Ken Sypal Feel fortunate that you have had 20 trouble free flips.  Personally whenever I have a great contractor I know in a short period of time they are going to move on because they are going to find clients that they can charge more if they do great work, as most of my contractors I use are priced very well.  I think you deep down know what to expect out of a good contractor, and you probably know as well as many of us that good contractors are hard to find so when you find them do your best to hold on to them or keep them happy.  I often run into contractors that do not have alot of references I can truly verify and many times I need them last second if I'm trying someone out brand new and not known to me, so what we resort to is giving them a tryout with no money down.  At the end of a few hours of work or a maybe a day we or one of our other contractors examine their work to see if it's up the quality that we believe.  We are up front that the work has to be quality or they will not make it to the next days worth of work.  In most cases, except one the contractor does a good job the first time we use them.  If they are showing signs of cutting corners or we have to micro manage them then we cut them at the end of the job as we know it's only to get worst going forward. 

  • Vendor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ken Sypal:

    Hi, after about 20 nearly trouble-free flips, I've finally run into a mess of problems with contractors and am finding myself in need of some new ones.  I would like to have at least 3 reliable ones I turn to.  They must be licensed (or have licensed friends/partners that they can work under), do decent work, and be reasonably priced.  If you've had success at consistently finding good contractors that fit this description, I would love to hear how you've found them.  Thanks in advance!  Ken

     Hi Ken, there are companies that will do the leg work for you, you can use Thumbtack to put bits out on a job and see if you find anyone reasonable. You can use home advisor but that isn't any sort of guaranteed rating. Even use a company like mine that sources vendors and schedules the job for you whenever you need one. There are a lot of options but they all take time or research to get going.

  • Vendor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 43 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    My company is a national vendor sourcing and coordination and we run into this problem all the time. The only real answer is it takes time. Time to cultivate a good relationship and know it's worth continuing. It takes companies years to find the vendor they like for the job. You just have to start early and keep those relationships open.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.