How to rehab for quick flip vs hold & rent?

How to rehab for quick flip vs hold & rent?

Rental Property Investor · Plainview, NY · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 28 votes

I just closed on condo deal and need your advise how to rehab. This is 2b/1ba 1350 sf unit in over 55 community in Jersey. Windows are new, AC wall units are ok and the heating is all new too.

I wanted to buy this place solely to hold and rent. The original purchase price was 107K and the rents out there are in vicinity of 1200-1400/mo.

However, since originally agreeing to the deal back in October, we have had some issues getting loan approved and the seller became anxious and we had to make a decision whether to lose this deal or pay cash.. Long story short, we ended up purchasing the unit for 105k cash because I simply could not let this deal get away. The current market prices in the community jumped like crazy and comps are now in 150-170k range.

So now i have a dilemma:

1. Do I rehab moderately just so I can rent it out easily for 1250-1300? If yes then I think all I need is to replace carpets with laminated flooring, repaint the whole unit, replace all appliances, repaint the kitchen cabinets. 

Rent it out, refinance in 6 mo from now to cash out..Not bad but I will still have to deal with condo rules and hope that the market does not crash before I apply for refinancing.

2. Rehab to flip for 150K conservatively (165k aggressively) - gut and replace kitchen, granite countertops, gut and replace bathroom, add some recessed lighting in the living area; the rest is the same.

I want a quick flip while the prices are on the top.

3. Or rehab like in case 1 and try selling it for cheaper like 140-130K? Most of the units up for sale or sold around 150-170K in the past 3 months are/ were nicely renovated.

I have never managed any rehabbing other than in my own house so I really don't know the investment rehab prices; the timing and how these updates will impact the goals. 

Please help me understand the pricing and what you would do.

Thank you!

0Reply
23 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @David K. I do not think you will have enough of an equity position to gut the kitchen and bathroom and still make the profit you would like. I just recently flipped a home in Berwyn, and I ended up coming in over budget because I didn't factor in all the costs associated with gutting a home. The cabinets and granite ended up being the cheap part!

    My thought would be that you should probably do a VERY light renovation on the place. Try to paint cabinets, do nice laminate counter tops that mimic granite, maybe stainless appliances if that works in your market. Paint the place, and do whatever small flooring upgrades you have to do. Do not spend much, and try to sell it quickly. 

    The formula for flips is 70% of ARV minus repair costs. Your purchase price is right at 70% before you rehab the place, so do as little as humanly possible in order to maximize profit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Plainview, NY · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    @John Warren, thank you so much for responding.  Given the numbers,  it definitely makes sense to spend as little as possible.  I am just concerned that the units recently sold or still avail on the market are all nicely done, I don't want listing this unit,  losing time and then still ending up with additional renovation

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.