Ever use Home Depot or Menards teams for rehabs?

Ever use Home Depot or Menards teams for rehabs?

Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 64 votes
I'm curious about anyone's experience using HD or Menards to come in a do the rehab work (remodel a kitchen, all new flooring, etc)
0Reply
29 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    I think the customer experience using these companies will vary widely depending on the specific crew/ store/ location of course. I'm sure there's a wide range of talent represented in their employees, and I can't speak about every person who works for either of these companies. When I was working full time as a carpenter I was hired many times to go in and fix literally EVERYTHING the HD guys had done. There were several instances when I literally had to take apart an entire kitchen and redo everything. HD pointed their finger at the contractor, contractor pointed finger at HD, neither had any accountability for the job being completely botched. Customer ended up paying me to both undo and redo the work, some material was totally ruined because miter cuts were done wrong, etc. There is a lot of turnover in contractors that work for HD, because HD really squeezes all the profit out and leaves the contractors with little $ for their effort, so they cut a lot of corners wherever they can in an attempt to actually make some $, and then they quit after a few poorly done projects that nobody except HD benefits from. I would not trust HD to handle any actual carpentry work, only simple appliance installations. I would search Angie's List and find a good local contractor. Any time I sub out a major project I get at least 3 quotes and usually go with the one in the middle. I have no experience with Menards.

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2018 · 288 posts · 117 votes
    8y
    I have used HD contractors for carpeting on several rentals in between tenants and they definitely take their time, get the feeling they pad their numbers a bit w $ going back to HD q
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.