Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 43 posts · 9 votes
Hello, as a beginner I am learning how to count all costs for repairs but I can’t find any good estimators or contractors who could help me to find out estimate to fix one big house. I am interesting to buy 5 bedroom house, but there is a lot of stuff that needs to be done. I have a hundred pictures that I could send and explain what we would like to do, thank you!
Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Without owning the house contractors are not likely to come give you a bid or estimate. You can offer to pay them, but they still may not be interested as their time is better served tracking down possible jobs for people who own homes.
Are you saying there are no contractors that are willing to come out and give you an estimate?
I am ready to pay for their estimates, but it’s true they are not going to come if you not going to hire them, and for me it’s become a problem to buy a house. I am trying to call any construction company’s now and simply asking them how much they going to take for work and after check and calculate prices for materials, but there is always something different.
Without owning the house contractors are not likely to come give you a bid or estimate. You can offer to pay them, but they still may not be interested as their time is better served tracking down possible jobs for people who own homes.
Nobody works for free . And as a contractor I am NOT going to give you a price based on pictures . Not even a guestimate
I didn’t say for free, every investor checking prices and quality different contractors. If I call you and simply ask you how much you will take to change 5 windows, you might answer to me, that’s all what I am trying to do
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
@Alina Beryh if you called and asked how much to change 5 windows , I would give you a price range between $500 and $15,000 . And I still could be under bidding . There are way too many variables to quote like that .
Since you need a estimator or contractor to give you costs , that alone tells me when any contractor started asking you questions as to what type of window , what type of sills , siding , etc , you couldnt provide enough info .
@Alina Beryh if you called and asked how much to change 5 windows , I would give you a price range between $500 and $15,000 . And I still could be under bidding . There are way too many variables to quote like that .
Since you need a estimator or contractor to give you costs , that alone tells me when any contractor started asking you questions as to what type of window , what type of sills , siding , etc , you couldnt provide enough info .
Okay, thank you, I got what to do. Yes you are right, and every house specific, that makes me troubles with estimating by myself
Real Estate Agent · Winnipeg, MB · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 4 votes
7y
@Alina Beryh if you are buying from a realtor you could possibly ask them if they would have any knowledge about rough rehab costs or if they know of any contractors that they deal with.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
@Alina Beryh Unfortunatly as a beginner you will get an education . And education isnt free . Rehabbing and flipping isnt what you see on tv . It will take twice as long as you think . Why ? The contractors arent sitting at home waiting for work , they are backed up . It will cost more than you estimated . Why ? Once you open things up you dont know what you will find . So if it isnt specifically listed on the scope of work . Its an extra , that cost more and adds more time .
You change your mind during the project add $$$$.
Remember if you dont buy right you wont make a dime , odds are you will lose money
@Alina Beryh Unfortunatly as a beginner you will get an education . And education isnt free . Rehabbing and flipping isnt what you see on tv . It will take twice as long as you think . Why ? The contractors arent sitting at home waiting for work , they are backed up . It will cost more than you estimated . Why ? Once you open things up you dont know what you will find . So if it isnt specifically listed on the scope of work . Its an extra , that cost more and adds more time .
You change your mind during the project add $$$$.
Remember if you dont buy right you wont make a dime , odds are you will lose money
You said that you are contractor, do you invest also?
@Alina Beryh if you are buying from a realtor you could possibly ask them if they would have any knowledge about rough rehab costs or if they know of any contractors that they deal with.
Yes, I do ask , sometimes they know and friendly and sometimes I have to do research
You said that you are contractor, do you invest also?
I buy and hold as rentals .
Flipping a house doesnt make sense to me . I buy at a good price , repair whats needed and rent them out . If I buy to flip I can save quite a bit since I am a contractor , but I still have to account for my time and bill that against the flip . Now I am using my money and taking risk on that . I can make the same if not more working residential home improvements and NONE of my money is at risk .
Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2017 · 230 posts · 169 votes
7y
@Alina Beryh tell the contractors you’re buying the house and need to make sure it’s a good deal, and that you’re looking for a contractor so that the moment you buy you can start rehabbing.
@Alina Beryh tell the contractors you’re buying the house and need to make sure it’s a good deal, and that you’re looking for a contractor so that the moment you buy you can start rehabbing.
Flipper/Rehabber · South Jersey · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
7y
@Alina Beryh Around my area most contractors will give a free estimate. Non have ever asked me if I own the house. And if I have the lock box code how do the know I do or don't own it. Maybe we are closing that day. I'd just tell a contractor you have a house/rooms that needs rehabbed and you need an estimate. If they want the job they'll come.
@Alina Beryh Around my area most contractors will give a free estimate. Non have ever asked me if I own the house. And if I have the lock box code how do the know I do or don't own it. Maybe we are closing that day. I'd just tell a contractor you have a house/rooms that needs rehabbed and you need an estimate. If they want the job they'll come.
In what area are you? The same, I thought it will be much more easier, the same as you would call plumber and ask him price for service
Flipper/Rehabber · South Jersey · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
7y
I'm in NJ. I also have had a good response by asking for recommendations on Facebook. Ask your friends who knows a reliable licensed/insured contractor. This way it's more of a warm transfer referral. I'm sure they'll come to give an estimate if when u talk to them U say "any name" knows you and referred me to you. Now if you are getting the place use who give the best bids. If u keep using the same people for bids and never give them work I'm sure they will start to ignore you. Over time if you continue to rehab houses you'll build relationships. And probably be better at ball parking rehab costs your self.
I'm in NJ. I also have had a good response by asking for recommendations on Facebook. Ask your friends who knows a reliable licensed/insured contractor. This way it's more of a warm transfer referral. I'm sure they'll come to give an estimate if when u talk to them U say "any name" knows you and referred me to you. Now if you are getting the place use who give the best bids. If u keep using the same people for bids and never give them work I'm sure they will start to ignore you. Over time if you continue to rehab houses you'll build relationships. And probably be better at ball parking rehab costs your self.