Metal roof , so easy even a 13 year old can do it ....(almost)

Metal roof , so easy even a 13 year old can do it ....(almost)

Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes

Today the kid got out of school 2 hours early .Well he still got an education . No afternoon filled with video games , take your son to work day .  I picked up materials on Monday , a 5 hour round trip to Lancaster Pa to pick up metal roofing . Even though I am a contractor , I have never done one . So I read up on it , picked up misc supplies this morning . Put up 2 panels alone , then picked up the kid and finished 1 side . Total of about 4 hours . No tear off , right over the shingles .  Rather easy compared to shingles . I have 2 buildings to do at this property .  To give an idea of cost . Its 17 square between the 2 buildings and materials were $2000.   

The advantage is I dont have to do it all at once since i am not stripping the roof . i amk just doing it when i have extra time 

1Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike ReynoldsPro Member
construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
Originally posted by @Will G.:

i always thought this app required furring strips? did the metal manu say this was ok?

Yes you can but like you said you need to get the manufacture specs. Some will allow it and some wont. I have done it both ways myself. Some have been there for decades. My own roof has lathe installed because it is my preference. I can nail the lathe to the rafters whereas you cant guarantee the tin will be screwed to the rafters without them. But if you have a good decking it is doable.

In fact I have  a metal roof going to the shingles next month per the owners request. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Catskill, NY · Member since 2018 · 636 posts · 668 votes
    7y

    Nice! I always love bringing my kids with me when I do any sort of work at a property or even around my own house. Quality time together and still getting things done.

  • Rental Property Investor · Maryville, TN · Member since 2009 · 529 posts · 414 votes
    7y

    i always thought this app required furring strips? did the metal manu say this was ok?

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Will G.:

    i always thought this app required furring strips? did the metal manu say this was ok?

    Yes , I was dealing straight with the manufacturer . They said to use 30 lb felt and you can go straight over shingles .  I was there watching them rolling out some material while I was there . I picked the owners brain for a good 1/2 hour .   He said there are 2 schools of thought on the furring strips , some swear by them and some swear at them 

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Will G.:

    i always thought this app required furring strips? did the metal manu say this was ok?

    Yes you can but like you said you need to get the manufacture specs. Some will allow it and some wont. I have done it both ways myself. Some have been there for decades. My own roof has lathe installed because it is my preference. I can nail the lathe to the rafters whereas you cant guarantee the tin will be screwed to the rafters without them. But if you have a good decking it is doable.

    In fact I have  a metal roof going to the shingles next month per the owners request. 

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Matthew Paul:
    Originally posted by @Will G.:

     some swear by them and some swear at them 

    This is so true.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Strapping or no strapping.....it depends on the thickness, material and condition of the sheathing you are screwing into. I am presently installing metal over existing shingles, 1200sq ft. and  I am using strapping. I prefer having the air space under the metal, the strapping helps to level out the uneven surface and the metal is more securely held down with strapping.

    Is strapping necessary, maybe not but I prefer it. 

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    These roofs are 3/4 inch thick , 6in wide planks . No plywood at all . Strong and sturdy . House was built late 30's early 40's

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    Built early 30s/40s....no strapping required. The roof will outlast the building.

    Biggest PITA for me is getting a descent looking over hang on a roof edge 50' long with no eavestrough to hide it. And the caps on a cottage style roof, and not sliding off with a 18' drop. Never again.

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y

    Its fun working on a metal sliding board . I have a friend who fell 2 and 1/2 stories onto a pile of sand putting on his metal roof .  broke his arm .........lucky .

  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Paul

    I take my boys to my projects as well. 8 yr old can assemble a ceiling fan in 20 minutes, 9 yr old can paint an entire room and hang blinds. They get the same jobs every time we upgrade a unit. They probably aren't ready for a roof yet lol.

    We did 4 24x90 garages over the last couple years with metal roofing. One trick was to layout the first sheet so your screw pattern would hit a truss on every panel. Another nice tool was a battery operated metal skill saw.( I have a bosch 18v) 2 of the roofs had hips.. Just run the sheets wild, snap a line and zip them off.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.