Getting FHA loan and then refinancing after rehab

Getting FHA loan and then refinancing after rehab

Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
So I’m looking to buy my first deal, at the moment I don’t have the capital to pay cash for a $60k property, I have been looking at getting an FHA loan, doing the rehab, putting a renter In place, and hopefully be able to refinance with a traditional 30 yr mortgage, I have the cash set aside for a $15k-$20k rehab, so my main thing is does this make sense to do? Refinancing and paying off that FHA loan as well as pulling all my cash back out from the rehab and hopefully more, does this work this way or is there some rules or regulations on this specific kind of thing that would prevent me from doing this?
0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Lender · Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 465 posts · 184 votes
7y
Originally posted by @Chris Talley:
So I’m looking to buy my first deal, at the moment I don’t have the capital to pay cash for a $60k property, I have been looking at getting an FHA loan, doing the rehab, putting a renter In place, and hopefully be able to refinance with a traditional 30 yr mortgage, I have the cash set aside for a $15k-$20k rehab, so my main thing is does this make sense to do? Refinancing and paying off that FHA loan as well as pulling all my cash back out from the rehab and hopefully more, does this work this way or is there some rules or regulations on this specific kind of thing that would prevent me from doing this?

You must plan on living in the property to get an FHA loan. Usually for a year, is that part of your game plan?

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 465 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Talley:
    So I’m looking to buy my first deal, at the moment I don’t have the capital to pay cash for a $60k property, I have been looking at getting an FHA loan, doing the rehab, putting a renter In place, and hopefully be able to refinance with a traditional 30 yr mortgage, I have the cash set aside for a $15k-$20k rehab, so my main thing is does this make sense to do? Refinancing and paying off that FHA loan as well as pulling all my cash back out from the rehab and hopefully more, does this work this way or is there some rules or regulations on this specific kind of thing that would prevent me from doing this?

    You must plan on living in the property to get an FHA loan. Usually for a year, is that part of your game plan?

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    7y

    Yeah, you’ll need to live in it for a year as fha loans are for owner occupied only, one year minimum.  Likely can’t refi based on appraisal for a year anyway.

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    FHA has restriction on the condition, termite, permit etc. Do your HW before you find out FHA will not touch your target.


  • Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Caleb Jordan not necessarily what I was trying to do. Guess really need to be finding some private lenders or hard money lender. Thanks for the info
  • Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    @Caleb Jordan curious If there Is any way of adding rehab costs into the financed amount and using the rehab money as down payment for a traditional mortgage?
  • Lender · Arlington, TX · Member since 2018 · 465 posts · 184 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Chris Talley:
    @Caleb Jordan curious If there Is any way of adding rehab costs into the financed amount and using the rehab money as down payment for a traditional mortgage?

    No I don't think so. If you were to live in property you could look at FHA 203k which lends you money for repairs. Most conventional banks won't give money for repairs though. Some local banks may if you build a relationship with them and have some experience.

    So looking at private money or hard money is an option you could check out. Many them will prefer some experience as well though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.