Investor · Hyattsville, MD · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 441 votes
I have a property under contract to close approximately jan 30. The pipes were stolen prior to contract resulting in water gushing inside and wet carpets etc. The humidity is high and carpets are not going to dry out. There is no power to run fans or dehumidifiers etc. Mold is starting to form on the carpets. i'm trying to close sooner but the concern is if I cant get in 30 days, mold will begin to grow. Any recommendations on how to stablize property without power until I can get in, turn on power and dry the place out and pull carpets etc... Bank seller is not amenable to spending anything on the property before I settle. But I can ask. What would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
Investor · Jasper GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
I'd invest in a generator, either rent, borrow or purchase to run fans and dehumidifiers.
A new Honda is only $1200 and is always handy to have around. Another option is to hire a carpet cleaner with a truck mounted machine. How about talking with the neighbor and seeing ion you can borrow some electricity.
Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
7y
Grab a pump up sprayer and a 50/50 solution of water and bleach , add some soap to make it stick . Spray the carpet , walls etc . ( stay away from metal and electrical )
Rental Property Investor · TN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y
Chances are the bank won't let you do anything.
I am currently in escrow for a house that has a roof leak when it rains. It was to close in Dec, but the bank is dragging their feet in signing the deed, someone is always out of the office with the holidays. Hoping to close next week. Did the walk through today and now the floor tile and under floor will need to be replaced in one room. They are giving me $500 credit because of the changes from when I first saw it, but not 'for the repairs' which makes a difference to them. I did leave a bucket under the leak today. Bank does not know. Tarping was denied, even at my expense. So was repairing the leak at my expense.
My guess is they won't hurry or let you do anything. Just plan on killing mold the day you settle.