Full Gut Rehabs vs Cosmetic Rehabs

Full Gut Rehabs vs Cosmetic Rehabs

Accountant · Member since 2008 · 119 posts · 52 votes

I've been looking at a few properties in my area, and it seems the deals that only need cosmetic work move quickly, however the full gut rehab deals tend to linger a lot longer and I'm sure are selling for much much less.

My question to the experienced rehabbers is this: Do you prefer what would be considered a full-gut rehab or a cosmetic rehab better?

To me the pros of the full gut would be less competition, DEEPLY discounted prices, and really being able to see everything (you know plumbing or electrical is done right when it's down to the studs, etc).

The cons obviously are rehab costs are much higher, but if the numbers workout, you could probably create more profit spread if you tailor this to your retail buyer demand in your market.

The cosmetic rehabs would obviously be faster to complete the rehab, cheaper, but I would think you'd likely pay more for the property. You also have the unknown element of what things really look like behind those walls.

So which do you prefer? Full Gut or light cosmetic? Maybe right in the middle?

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes
15y

I prefer whichever makes me more money. Hah hah.

That being said, I've done one and only one 'light cosmetic' rehab... and it was the first one I ever did. Everything since then has been a monstrous, full-gut job including a tear-down/rebuild.

I ENJOY the gut rehabs. I like knowing that every little thing is correct. The fact that they require 1000% more effort, time, sweat, tears, and a whole host of crews that have your back is... well, it is what it is.

Also, where I work, there just aren't many light cosmetic rehabs available. All the houses are older than 1960 (more or less)... I really don't think there is such a thing as a 'light cosmetic' rehab on a house that hasn't been updated since it was built 50+ years ago.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    each person will give you a different response. depends on your experience, your skill level and your number crunching abilities.

    i'd do 10-15 cosmetic rehabs before jumping into a full gut. the margin of error is huge on the gut jobs. you may lose your shirt, credit, marriage, etc if you "think you know what you are doing".

    my honest opinion...what's all.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y

    I do both cosmetic rehabs and full gut rehabs. Pretty much half and half over the past couple dozen rehabs I've done...

    By far, I prefer the cosmetic rehabs, as they're faster, easier and lower-risk. Also, they are easier to finance if I choose to go that route, and because they are easier to finance (and faster to complete), they generally return higher margins.

    That said, they are MUCH tougher to come by, so we do our share of gut rehabs as well. This properties are easier to acquire, can be acquired at steeper discounts in many cases and keep our contractors a lot busier.

    So, there are pros and cons of each...

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    15y

    In my expereince, the cosmetic flips are much harder to get good pricing on and as such, the spreads are tighter, the pros are the obvious - quicker turn times, lower holding/rehab costs.
    I have done them all from light cosmetic, to heavy rehab, to full gut jobs. Full gut jobs offer the highest spreads as the retail competition is exterminated due to the existing condition. The rehab time/hold times are onviously longer, but I make sure that my spread justifies the costs and time.

    My preference is the mid rehabs where the property is not in finance condition from an institutional lender (such as kitchen is gutted or mold, or foundation issue, etc) but is not a full gut job. Those that have guttend kitchens, but have all the electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc are the best in my opinion. They are quickly rehabbed, they can be obtained with good spreads, and they are fairly easy to manage (at least from my perspective and experience).

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes
    15y

    I prefer whichever makes me more money. Hah hah.

    That being said, I've done one and only one 'light cosmetic' rehab... and it was the first one I ever did. Everything since then has been a monstrous, full-gut job including a tear-down/rebuild.

    I ENJOY the gut rehabs. I like knowing that every little thing is correct. The fact that they require 1000% more effort, time, sweat, tears, and a whole host of crews that have your back is... well, it is what it is.

    Also, where I work, there just aren't many light cosmetic rehabs available. All the houses are older than 1960 (more or less)... I really don't think there is such a thing as a 'light cosmetic' rehab on a house that hasn't been updated since it was built 50+ years ago.

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2010 · 628 posts · 251 votes
    15y

    I have problems competing with owner occupants for the purchase of light rehabs. I still offer on them. But, I am generally blown out of the water by the competition. If it ain't ugly, I don't get excited about my chances of purchase.
    Don

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.