Older home rehab

Older home rehab

Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2011 · 8 posts · 1 vote

I have a small unoccupied 800 sq ft older house (1950's) that needs a window replaced (dry rotted frame) and drywall work including new ceilings in the kitchen and living room. The plan was do this work myself but lead based paint laws are a concern. From some limited research it appears a homeowner can do the repairs without being RRP certified if they are the occupant. If the house is rented then the contractor or homeowner needs to be RRP certified. Is this correct? I imagine the laws are the same if the house is to be sold, but I haven't seen anything in print yet. So what is my best course of action? Just bite the bullet and hire a contractor or is RRP work going to be outrageously expensive? I noticed that the RPP class is only 8 hours/$300 so maybe that's an option? If anyone has a rough estimate on what I could expect to pay a contractor for the new window install, ceiling, and paint (I'm out of State so getting quotes right now is a little problematic) that would be a big help. Is $4500 realistic? The kitchen and living room portion that needs the new ceiling is probably a total of about 300 sq ft. Also what are the asbestos laws/requirements?

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rehabber · Fort Walton Beach, FL · Member since 2011 · 240 posts · 48 votes
    15y

    Asbestos has to removed by the professionals and I am not certain on the lead paint, but (and I could be wrong here) if I were already going to have to pay for the asbestos removal, I would have them do the lead based paint as well; why take any chances. Where is this house located? It would be hard to give an estimate without knowing the number of windows, type of windows, are you purchasing the materials and having them available or will you have your contractor get them...

    As for being out of state, you can also contact a realtor and/or property management co. to get the names of some possibly reliable contractors.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2011 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    Thanks for the help. Have you had to do asbestos abatement on your properties? What was the procedure? I don't know for a fact that there is asbestos in his house. The ceiling doesn't have any texture just paint. From what I've read some drywall from that period had asbestos, but not all. How would most contractors handle this situation?

    Only one window needs repaired fortunately.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.