Sell in good market or hold for rental

Sell in good market or hold for rental

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hi my name Is chance gabbert and I am Currently working over in North Dakota in the oil field, I am new to the group and still pretty new to investing in properties on our first house we had it built and made 50k on that and used the money to help us buy our two current properties back home in western Montana that are Currently being rented out but in one I have my brother that has MS in the house so All I am charging for rent is the mortgage payment ($1100 for a 5bed 2bath witch in the area could go for $2000 or more) and the other property, we had a well drilled and the well was bad (really long story and it has been a nightmare haha) but luckily the renters up there are still paying our minimum payment on that ($650 for a 3bed 2bath on 10 acres witch in the area would go for around $1400) but with the situations I’m not really getting anywhere so my question is with the market being so good back home and we got both properties for such a good price, should we fix the problems and sell (we estimate a $120k-160k profit for both property’s) witch is amazing! But at the same time my ultimate goal is to have Rentles and the market has went up so much in our area that I’m afraid we will end up really over spending and taking even longer to pay off the new property to reach our max profit,

We have $40k saved up and are planning to get out of North Dakota after 8 years and go home and my plan is to do the (small repairs) to the properties and put them on the market and take the money to start flipping foreclosed houses (still need to do a lot more research on that as well before we commit) sorry for such a long story but I’m just looking to see if anybody has any suggestions or experience with any of the Situations I’m in, thanks!

1Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Developer · Magnolia, DE · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Chance Gabbert, it’s like gambling take the profit when it’s there. Move the capital to another property which should be purchased below market value and generate more profit. I also know how you can invest into other projects and pay no capital gains tax on future profits. Contact me if you are interested in knowing more about it. -David

  • Great Falls, MT · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 27 votes
    7y

    Hi Chance. I agree with @David Miller, take the capital and do more investing. The beauty here is that you can free up a lot of your equity and put it to use to further your investing career. You would essentially be utilizing the BRRR strategy, which you can read more about here https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/brrrr-buy...

    What part of Montana are these properties in? I currently live in Great Falls but am open to investing in properties in other areas as long as the numbers make sense. I could be your "boots on the ground" so to speak. Let me know how I can help or if you would be interested in working together sometime by partnering on a deal. 

    Nick 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.