What do you think about MDF trim vs. Wood Trim?

What do you think about MDF trim vs. Wood Trim?

Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 717 posts · 50 votes

Any thoughts? I know MDF is cheaper and looks almost the same, but does anyone not use it? If not, why not?

1Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes
14y

David -

Now that's a topic for conversation... Copper vs. CPVC. In order to not hijack this thread, I think I'll start another one!

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes
    14y

    MDF won't hold up well in wet areas, or steam/humidity areas. It also tends to cut pretty badly unless you're using a fresh, sharp blade.

    Also, the nail holes on MDF won't close up as nicely as wood... no amount of caulk will solve it. The nail holes will basically be visible forever.

    For me, MDF vs. wood depends entirely on the level of renovation we're working on. The house needs to be pretty cheap IMO to make MDF a valid material.

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
    14y

    I vote for mdf. We use it all the time in our flips and most of our homes are $300,000 to $700,000. If a house has enough moisture issues to warp the baseboard moulding then there are other issues to be addressed. Whether its real wood or mdf you still are going to have to fill nail holes for a finished look. Plus the mdf is less likely to splinter.
    I would take the saving and put it toward a sizzle feature.

    Jim

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2009 · 717 posts · 50 votes
    14y

    Can you notice the difference other than the moisture issue and nail hole from a buyer's point of view?

  • Real Estate Investor · Virginia, DC &, MD · Member since 2008 · 261 posts · 71 votes
    14y
    Originally posted by Greg P.:
    Can you notice the difference other than the moisture issue and nail hole from a buyer's point of view?

    No difference. I think the mdf has less wood defects when new.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Grand Blanc, MI · Member since 2008 · 885 posts · 316 votes
    14y

    I've found the MDF to be a terrible trim choice. In addition to the reasons already stated above, it doesn't paint well since the finish is so smooth. Plus, when installing it, the trim carpenters often complain that the nails drive right through the material (even when they've adjusted their nailers to not set the nail so deep). As a result, the trim is never secured well to the wall.

    For the slightly extra cost, I'll go with wood trim. Every time. The MDF just isn't worth the aggravation for the slight cost savings (which is often negated by adding extra finish time for the trim carpenters and painters).

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2009 · 339 posts · 126 votes
    14y

    I agree with Aaron and Mark on the differences between MDF and wood but I will not write off MDF. In lower priced renovations where the only trim I would use be 4 or 6" base board then MDF will do the job just fine. If I am also using a lot of chair and crown moulding then I might consider wood...

    Do keep in mind that many buyers will not notice the differences between MDF and wood either.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2008 · 407 posts · 90 votes
    14y

    I prefer old school such as wood for trim and copper for plumbing. Never got into the new materials

  • Contractor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2008 · 978 posts · 985 votes
    14y

    David -

    Now that's a topic for conversation... Copper vs. CPVC. In order to not hijack this thread, I think I'll start another one!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.