Looking for Realestate Investors in Chicago area

Looking for Realestate Investors in Chicago area

Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes

I am a 22 year old African American college graduate. I am just now starting my journey into the world of Real estate. I am doing as much studying as I can on my own to learn the ways of the business, but am not ashamed to say that I am ignorant at this point in time. This is due to the abundance of information that i am finding without the ability to filter the need to know things about this industry. what I am looking for are experience real estate investors in the Chicago area. I am not looking for your money to invest in properties or even to get paid to work for you. I am just looking for someone that is willing to take the time to mentor me I will work free of charge if need be. I graduated college, Got the job I wanted, and make an OK starting salary with some great benefits. For most people this would be enough to make them happy. Unfortunately, not me I want the auto gain financial independence the ability to provide not just for me and my family but my community as well show other young men that there are more ways to make it in the world. If you can help me. I know I’m asking for a lot but this is not a 1 way streak you will get a motivated and hungry youth willing to work. I can handle anything you throw my way I just need the chance. Thank you!

0Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
7y

@Akeem Hutchinson you might want to try attending meetup events and network with investors. At the top is a network tab and then an event section, most are free events for you to attend. Most mentorships are not free as they require a lot of time and effort, so figure out what avenue of REI you are looking to do and go learn from other investors at these events

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Louisville, KY · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    At the risk of sounding like an *******, here is some tough love.

    In my opinion, you are asking for mentorship too soon. You have nothing to offer if you are simply saying, I am ignorant...teach me. Purposely bringing self-described ignorant people into a business is not a good idea for anyone. 

    You shouldn't be ashamed to be ignorant but you should know that you can and should largely solve that problem for yourself prior to expecting someone to allow you to work in their business. You seem to have made little to no effort to educate yourself and are just expecting someone else to do it for you, for nothing. That isn't the way it generally works. 

    You say you are studying, but are you really? I didn't consider myself ignorant after reading just one book on REI. Maybe naive, certainly still a newb. But no longer ignorant. Maybe I am too sensitive to your use of that word, but ignorance is a problem you can cure yourself. You can't make yourself an expert, but you can pull yourself out of ignorance if you are willing to put in the time. You just joined bigger pockets today and immediately just asked for someone to basically do it for you. Most people join and read posts and lurk for months or longer trying to learn and absorb the information that is already here. You haven't invested anything, not even a full day.

    You need to invest the time and effort to get yourself 75%+ of the way there. Read 10 books, listen to 100 webinars, read 1000 articles and 10,000 posts.  THEN you might be in a position to ask for a mentor and say, I have invested my time and effort and I know a lot. I can help you in your business and you can help me get some experience before starting my own career. 

    That's my opinion. Sorry if it is too harsh. I don't know you...I only know what you wrote. Congratulations on finishing college and good luck.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    7y

    @Akeem Hutchinson you might want to try attending meetup events and network with investors. At the top is a network tab and then an event section, most are free events for you to attend. Most mentorships are not free as they require a lot of time and effort, so figure out what avenue of REI you are looking to do and go learn from other investors at these events

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 77 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    @Akeem Hutchinson

    PM me. I know what it is like being in your schoes. I don't know how much I have to offer, but I will offer it.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Eric Michaels I appreciate the tough words and maybe I did use ignorant in the wrong way I was simply trying to say that I think I know a lot based on the books I have read but at this point in time I don’t know what I don’t know simply because of the large number of ways to make money in this business. I never take anything personal I have tough skin. Still I appreciate you taking the time to comment and let me know what I did wrong. Also thank you graduating college was really important to me

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Brie Schmidt thank you I didn’t know that there was an event tab there so far all I’ve been doing is watching the free webinars and reading the book I found on here “The Ultimately Beginners Guide” I will see what events are coming up and make my way to them

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kyle D Birch Thank you anybody willing to take the time out to teach me I’m more than happy to listen

  • Crystal SmithPro Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Akeem Hutchinson:

    I am a 22 year old African American college graduate. I am just now starting my journey into the world of Real estate. I am doing as much studying as I can on my own to learn the ways of the business, but am not ashamed to say that I am ignorant at this point in time. This is due to the abundance of information that i am finding without the ability to filter the need to know things about this industry. what I am looking for are experience real estate investors in the Chicago area. I am not looking for your money to invest in properties or even to get paid to work for you. I am just looking for someone that is willing to take the time to mentor me I will work free of charge if need be. I graduated college, Got the job I wanted, and make an OK starting salary with some great benefits. For most people this would be enough to make them happy. Unfortunately, not me I want the auto gain financial independence the ability to provide not just for me and my family but my community as well show other young men that there are more ways to make it in the world. If you can help me. I know I’m asking for a lot but this is not a 1 way streak you will get a motivated and hungry youth willing to work. I can handle anything you throw my way I just need the chance. Thank you!

    Akeem:  I have a few recommendations:  

    1.  Start attending a few local meetups. Treat the meetups just like you treated college.  Take notes, learn, build a network.  

    2.  Find a meetup that plays the Robert Kiyosaki cashflow game on a regular basis. It's a safe environment and the game deals with more than Real Estate. Believe it or not, you can learn some lessons in the game, then apply it to real-life situations.   

    3. While I admire your goal of paying it forward and showing other young men, you can't do that until you've done it for yourself.  In the beginning, you may have to be selfish and focus on yourself and your family rather than other young men. I say this because when it comes time to teach or show those young men you want to do it the right way.  

    4. Consider joining Chicago Creative Investment Association- They provide lots of opportunities to network along with educational opportunities.

  • Real Estate Broker · Melrose Park · Member since 2015 · 68 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    Podcasts and books was what worked for me. I would listen to a podcast every day on my way to and from work and then read books before going to bed.

     And when you are ready to jump in with both feet, and talk to a professional in this area, whether it be a real estate agent, an investor, a mortgage officer, you can definitely state you are beginning, but DO NOT sell yourself short. Always be confident and don't be afraid to ask questions for fear they'll think you're stupid. Congratulations on everything you've accomplished, and I'm sure you'll have no problem succeeding in life :) 

  • Real Estate Agent · Hoffman Estates, IL · Member since 2017 · 90 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Akeem Hutchinson

    Surround yourself with people you want to emulate. Listen, watch and experiment. Learn and adapt, lot of opportunities if you look.

    It’s always a good time to start (don’t wait for a correction).

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Crystal Smith Thank you I’ve already signed up for a few meet ups and some webinars. I’ve never heard of the game but if it’s an easier way to learn I’m all for it. Giving back is my ultimate goal i wouldn’t try to teach anybody anything I’m not proficient in myself. Thank you for taking the time to share some words of wisdom with me

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Daniella Sanchez Thank you! I’ve just recently got some new books on few different areas in realestate that i feel i would be good at and one of them talked about the podcast i haven’t looked any up yet but that will be my next move. If you have any recommendations please let me know!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Haseeb M. Thank you I feel like I’ll be able to find some of those people at the meetup so I’m definitely looking to take advantage of that!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.