What to do with a large Grandfathered in outbuilding

What to do with a large Grandfathered in outbuilding

Specialist · Neenah, WI · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Three years ago I purchased a single-family home in Wisconsin in the middle of a small city. It is a very unique property due to the fact it sits on an acre lot with an old 30 x 30 barn built in 1950. I purchased this property as my main residence and for a side job I like to restore boats and sell them.

I bought this property knowing the barn was in poor condition. About five years ago one of the previous owners had put a new roof on the barn but most of the corners of the building are rotten and the cement slab has cracked and heaved up in a section. In talking with the city building inspector I was told that since the property already has a two car attached garage and an 8 x 10 storage shed I was over the

limit on the amount of buildings that I could

have on the property and that the barn is grandfathered in so I could not take the barn down and build a new building in its location. Having multiple contractors out to give estimates on the building it will cost about $30,000 to straighten the building, put in new garage doors and put on a new roof and siding. This does not include Concreat or utilities the property is valued at about $170,000 I paid 120 for the property. Is restoring this barn into a usable shop to flip boats a good investment? Will it increase the property value? I’m worried if I leave the building in its current condition any longer it could be condemned and then I will just have to pay to have the building removed from the property. Looking for recommendations on the best way to proceed.

0Reply
19 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    7y

    it depends on what you want to do, if you want the space, then its probably worth it. I would also be very careful taking the inspectors word, I would suggest getting it in writing if you plan to tear it down and rebuild, personally I would repair it if you want the space. Sometimes the decision is not 100% financial regarding property value, your needs and desires play in as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    7y

    it depends on what you want to do, if you want the space, then its probably worth it. I would also be very careful taking the inspectors word, I would suggest getting it in writing if you plan to tear it down and rebuild, personally I would repair it if you want the space. Sometimes the decision is not 100% financial regarding property value, your needs and desires play in as well. 

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    I'd say repair the barn. If you torn it down you would have to pay for demolition and removal so spend the money fixing it.  30x30 is a nice size barn. You use the barn as a workshop and if you plan on selling the home the new owner can do same or use it as storage, garage or whatever.  I'd say fix it . It's unique, it makes money for you. It's an asset worth taking care of..fix it.

  • Specialist · Neenah, WI · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Anthony Rosa So if I do decide to move ahead on repairing the existing barn. How would you recommend financing the construction? Home equity loan or line of credit? Home improvement loan with a 7% Interest-rate... right now I only would feel comfortable putting 10-15K of my own money at the project. I have a extensive background in boat repair. Which includes a lot of Electrical, plumbing, But I have no experience in framing a building or straightening the existing building and no experience with Concreat. I feel like if I could do this work myself I could do the whole project for 15K or less it is frustrating having to pay contractors. But I also don’t have a lot of time to dedicate towards a rebuild. I am also afraid to wait to long as one huge snow storm could collapse the roof.

  • Rental Property Investor · New York City · Member since 2019 · 703 posts · 538 votes
    7y

    @Maxwell Sheppard, Get prices from contractors to make the structure structurally sound and safe. If you can do most or all of the work after the structure is stable and safe maybe there is no need for a loan. You can do the work a little at a time at your convenience. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.