How can I clean off latex paint from vinyl tub/shower?

How can I clean off latex paint from vinyl tub/shower?

Christina BatesPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote

Hi All!

I'm re-habbing a two-family. The first floor is done and rented. The second floor has been a hassle. The previous owner used latex paint to paint the border of the standard vinyl tub/shower insert. It's peeling and looking gross, but is resisting my attempts to get all of it off. I really don't want to throw more money at this apartment by getting a whole new shower/tub which would involve ripping up the new flooring, and dealing with what may be underneath the current shower/tub. The rest seems okay and just needs a good scrubbing and shower/faucet package.

Any suggestions? I've heard mineral spirits to soften the latex, but needing to be careful that it doesn't damage the vinyl. I was also wondering if one of those refinishing paints work, and would they also work over the latex part.

Thanks for any advice!

Christina

0Reply
150 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
7y

I used to paint horse fences in college and would get black oil based fence paint overspray all over my white truck I used to tow the sprayer with. The 'goof off' spray from HD took it right off no issue on my underlying vehicle paint....I think you want 'goof off 2' which is water based vs the original which is a hydrocarbon based more like mineral spirits. I've used that on water based paints as well and it works. I'd just use that with a magic eraser type pad to scrub and it shouldn't damage the vinyl finish.

The other option would be like you mentioned a resurfacing. Mine have run $300-$500 and yes it would take care of the issue. They wet sand the entire refinishing area and then acid etch it as well which would remove the paint build up, and then they spray it with an epoxy type paint which sticks to just about everything except silicone caulking.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Clairemont, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I used to paint horse fences in college and would get black oil based fence paint overspray all over my white truck I used to tow the sprayer with. The 'goof off' spray from HD took it right off no issue on my underlying vehicle paint....I think you want 'goof off 2' which is water based vs the original which is a hydrocarbon based more like mineral spirits. I've used that on water based paints as well and it works. I'd just use that with a magic eraser type pad to scrub and it shouldn't damage the vinyl finish.

    The other option would be like you mentioned a resurfacing. Mine have run $300-$500 and yes it would take care of the issue. They wet sand the entire refinishing area and then acid etch it as well which would remove the paint build up, and then they spray it with an epoxy type paint which sticks to just about everything except silicone caulking.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    Try using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I've used it on old dry paint in the past and it tends to (but not always) work on old paint. 

  • Member since 2019 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    A general can of Acetone should work just fine.

  • Christina BatesPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thank you! I’ll let you know how it goes.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y


    Might not be able to without making the surface worse. If the plastic has some give, the paint might just peel off after you work the give. Otherwise, I've used a razor blade, with success, but it's treacherous territory as it is very easy, almost impossible not to, scratch the plastic. I'd be careful of solvents and rough scour pads. 

    I would also verify the unit is a 1-piece. If the tub and surround are separate pieces, I would probably replace the surround.

    Not fun. Good luck.

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2018 · 703 posts · 446 votes
    7y

    The hottest water you can get without burning yourself it should come off, heat gun also works great but you have to be super careful with vinly so it doesn't melt. 

    Good old fashion elbow grease works also

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 546 posts · 227 votes
    7y

    You can try Goo Gone Latex Paint remover and that should do the trick; just be careful not to overuse it. They sell it on Amazon for about $7 or $8 -- it is also available at most hardware stores (Lowe's, Ace Hardware, Walmart, etc). I hope everything works out! It sounds like an exciting time (I love rehabbing success stories and DIY projects). @Christina Bates

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2015 · 481 posts · 313 votes
    7y

    I have used cheap plastic drywall knives as scrapers before; I feel like they have a lower chance of messing up the surface than a razor blade or metal putty knife, and when they're new, they have a decent edge on them.  Home Depot, Lowe's, etc, sell them for about $2 each, or a 3-pack of different widths for about $5.  Usually they're at one end of the aisle with all the drywall.

  • Christina BatesPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Meriden, CT · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    You guys all rock! Thank you! About to get all the suggested above and see what works. I'll share before and after.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.