Northern California · Member since 2019 · 106 posts · 5 votes
Hello,
I am planning to demolish a swimming pool in the backyard as it is not in good shape and the weather is usually on the cooler side so the usage would be very little if at all, besides fixing the pool in its current state may cost a great deal.
Now, I want to understand do I need to hire a specialized company to demolish the pool or any handyman can handle it? In future I may build a secondary unit over that same spot so what things I should consider while removing the pool? Do I need to get any kind of special equipment on the site to demolish the pool, if yes how much clearance should I have in my side yard? Any other considerations I should make?
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
6y
Depending on your local laws you may have to remove all debris and refill hole with new dirt.
Fortunately for the one I removed a couple years ago we were allowed to put the debris in the hole. Some key things that must be done to do it correctly are.
Holes must be punched in the bottom to allow water through.
Debris must be compacted and fill dirt must be compacted, you don't want a sinkhole in your yard.
Any dirt contractor can do it, they probably need a trackhoe because a backhoe is not large enough.
Keep in mind if you fill hole with concrete in warm weather the sun will heat the concrete and make the grass above it brown.
Cost will very by your local rates and how much dirt hauled in or if you have to remove everything. I paid $4,500 but dirt contractors are pretty cheap in my area.
Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
6y
Depending on your local laws you may have to remove all debris and refill hole with new dirt.
Fortunately for the one I removed a couple years ago we were allowed to put the debris in the hole. Some key things that must be done to do it correctly are.
Holes must be punched in the bottom to allow water through.
Debris must be compacted and fill dirt must be compacted, you don't want a sinkhole in your yard.
Any dirt contractor can do it, they probably need a trackhoe because a backhoe is not large enough.
Keep in mind if you fill hole with concrete in warm weather the sun will heat the concrete and make the grass above it brown.
Cost will very by your local rates and how much dirt hauled in or if you have to remove everything. I paid $4,500 but dirt contractors are pretty cheap in my area.
WorldWide · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6y
i would verify with your local city officials if they will allow to have something built on that ground. from what i've read, you'd have to put in some good $$$ for them to sign off on it (eng reports, etc). simple demo and fill will not suffice.
Investor · Argyle, TX · Member since 2014 · 112 posts · 73 votes
6y
I have removed/filled several pools and agree with most of what @Clifford Paul said. The most important aspects are to:
Check for local ordinances to see if you can dump the debris into the pool before backfilling with dirt
Ensure several holes are punched into the bottom/sides of the pool to allow water to drain. I have seen some serious bogs created if this is not done correctly.
Pack the dirt as the pool is filled. Otherwise you will have settlement and sinkholes created once it rains.
Additionally, have a plumber or handyman cap any fresh water source connected to the equipment. Also have an electrician (or competent handyman) disconnect the power to the equipment. Then remove all of it to be sure all signs of the pool have been removed. If you remove it, you want to remove all signs of the previous structure. I have paid $2500-6000 depending upon the size of the pool and ease of access to the back yard. The top end was for a backyard that was unreachable by equipment, and the contractor had to wheelbarrow dirt to the back. Extremely labor intensive.