Refreshing/Refinishing Oak Cabinets

Refreshing/Refinishing Oak Cabinets

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I'm working on a rehab for resale with 15-year-old oak cabinets in pretty good condition. They are the basic, cheap ones from the 90s, simple frame with overlay hinges and very oakey/grainy looking (no hardware).

I was planning on replacing them but the comps say not necessary. The exact same floor plan with same cabinets and tile counter sold across the street for more than asking 2 weeks ago. The house three doors down is under contract at top of market price with the same cabinets but painted white with new tile counter.

I need to redo the counter and would like to make the cabinets a little bit more modern. Has any one had any luck with restaining on existing cabinets to go darker or more cherry? Any suggestions for what product to use? Thanks!

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
13y

Here are a couple of our flips painted. Our good spray guy does these in about 2 hours, 1 for primer coat and 1 for finish, on consecutive days. Inside, outside, shelves, drawers, doors, everything. We take the doors down and the hardware off to get a better job. Use a tip with the finest possible spray pattern. Try Sherwin Williams Pro Classic, it's a latex enamel but is self leveling and dries very hard like oil paing.

One hour to rehang doors and add hardware. With the newer cabinets, you should have almost no prep work.

http://www.irongatecharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_0515.jpg

http://www.irongatecharleston.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/listing071.jpg

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2010 · 203 posts · 93 votes
    13y

    I've tried the Rustoleum product twice now and not been satisfied with the result either time.

    Now when it comes to old oak cabinets I either replace them or paint them white.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Bryan R. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Rustoleum cabinet product. What didn't work? Colors? Texture? Application?

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Chris Calabrese Thanks for sharing the pictures of your painted cabinets. I love white kitchens and think many older cabinets really benefit from paint, but there's nothing worse than a bad cabinet paint job. I went white in my last rehab, and the painter's did an OK job. But the finish you are getting really looks great.

    What primer are you using? For the SW Pro Classic, do you know which white the painters are using?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Mt. Pleasant, SC · Member since 2010 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    13y

    We use Kilz oil primer, and just the bright white base, no tint. I can't really speak to the long-term durability, but you get a nice hard finish if you let them set up for a couple of days before handling. The ultimate finish would probably be lacquer, but you need someone with some good experience spraying it.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2010 · 203 posts · 93 votes
    13y

    K. Marie Poe

    Mostly color and effect. It comes out somewhat translucent and really just didn't look good. Perhaps some different colors may work better. But for the amount of time it takes and with the results I've had, going forward I'll go with something I know will work whether that be painting white or replacing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.