Mold behind vanity in bathroom

Mold behind vanity in bathroom

Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes

In one of my properties there is about 2 to 3 square feet of of mold on the base boards and the drywall just above the baseboards behind the vanity, under the sink's plumbing.

The visible parts of the plumbing are not leaking. I haven't seen evidence of mold anywhere else in the property.

I would like to fix this myself and avoid using remediation people if at all possible.

1) Is the best course of action just to cut out those parts of the drywall/board that have it, so I don't risk contaminating other areas, rather than trying to scrub it off? (and then replace that drywall)

2) Since there is no visible leak, does that mean that there must be a leak somwhere behind the wall? I don't see any holes it the drywall where mold could have spread from the inside of the wall.

Thanks.

0Reply
121 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
13y

Only real way to tell what needs to be done is to start removing drywall and see what you find. If it's not behind the drywall it could have come from sink water running down the back of the vanity due to improper sealing over the years.

Whether you do it yourself, or need someone to come in due to a bigger problem, the drywall should come off.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Dylan Long In two of these situations I had the plumbers back to the properties because there was still water on the base cabinet floor or dripping down the vanity back wall after the initial repairs. They didn't figure out the issue either time. If you start at the top: faucet, the faucet seal, the sink seal, the counter and back splash seal, and vanity to wall seal...... that's a lot of places for water to travel down, imitating a drain or supply line leak. Plaster stays damp for a long time (or forever) in an enclosed vanity, so it doesn't take much water to start the mold.

    All that being said, I've seen the same problem with my pedestal sink at home. There were water drips on the floor just below the supply line and I could feel that the supply line was wet, so I was sure that was it. It turns out it was a broken nut under the faucet handle so it wasn't sitting tight.

    All of this would be more fun to figure out if I didn't have to pay people to not figure it out first.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y

    I opened the wall and there is no mold around the pipes or on the studs, and no signs of wetness. There is some mold on the cardboard backing under the side wall (at the bottom of the wall where the medicine cabinet and the light switch are).

    Do I need to keep looking for a water source? I am going to check the vanity to see if the top is sealed properly. If it is, should call the plumber or just treat the area with mold product and put new drywall on at this point. thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Forest Grove, OR · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 37 votes
    13y

    Chances are you're okay. If it was coming from an interior wall leak, you'd see the mold there first. It's probably a result of moisture from the bathroom sink, or external plumbing. Make sure that's sound when it's all buttoned back up.

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 282 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dylan Long:
    Chances are you're okay. If it was coming from an interior wall leak, you'd see the mold there first. It's probably a result of moisture from the bathroom sink, or external plumbing. Make sure that's sound when it's all buttoned back up.

    Dylan Long

    Thanks, that's what I'm thinking too. There wasn't even mold on the reverse side of the moldy drywall that I removed. I would think it would have to at least be on there if the problem was coming from inside the wall...

  • Gladstone, VA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Christian Morency:
    I have been sued for mold in the past so I now have a comprehensive mold addendum to my rental agreement. You would not believe the story behind that one, so I won't go into it here.

    What do you have in the addendum for mold and what was the background story?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.