Howell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
Hey All,
I live in Central NJ and it seems that there is not much in inventory for multi family homes. In the areas that they do exist it's obvious they were originally single family homes that were split. (you can tell by them comparing them to the houses in the neighbourhood) Has any one had any experience splitting a single family home in to a multi? Looking for general experiences, costs, any issues with zoning and was it worth it.
Investor · St Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 250 posts · 181 votes
6y
You'll need to get on a call or get in a meeting with your city's zoning department. There they will tell you the requires to convert to a multi. You will need to follow their regulations and have a drawing for your layout plan. Make sure that your property meets sq footage requirements, and that the city is okay with your conversion. Lastly, make sure that you get several contractor's opinions on the cost of the conversion, and make sure that you look at comps in your area for a multi rather than a SFH when making your purchase decision. Hope this helps.
Howell, NJ · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
6y
Thanks James.
I did just that today and the town I called told me they are not accepting any use variances for conversions to multi family. I guess this will be a new filter when I go through listing that may be of interest.
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
6y
You may be better served doing a property search for properties already zoned for multi family but are under built, perhaps only have a single family unit on them. Find those, convert to multi and away you go.