A mess of a ceiling to redo

A mess of a ceiling to redo

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

@Gail W. wrote in an earlier post:

I have made an offer on a house where there has been a very heavy smoker living for a number of years. The originally white popcorn ceiling is now yellow over the entire surface. There is so much nicotine on the ceiling that it is running black streaks down the wall. The people at the local hardware store where I usually buy my paint have recommended the Zinsser B.I.N. saying its the only primer that will block the nicotine stain, and as you stated it is very expensive. Would I be able to paint the ceiling with dewaxed shellac to cover the smoke stain ,(and smell) without cleaning? or would you recommend removing the popcorn and cleaning with TSP detergent?

I asked Gail to repost in the DIY forum, not realizing the post was already in the DIY forum. But this really deserves its own separate discussion, mostly because I'm about to lay out some pretty controversial realities as I see them.

I think what should be stated first out is that the normal flipper quick-fix solution would be to B-I-N prime that ceiling up, paint it reel gud, and sell the joint. This is not appropriate for a long-term buy-and-hold, because the quick-fix solution will begin to fail rather quickly (give it a year or two) and after maybe five years we're talking some spectacular-spectacular failure. Any disagreement on that?

0Reply
172 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y
popcorn ceilings are so ugly even in good condition I think I'd demo it out and have it drywalled over
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    6y

    If it was me I'd pull down old drywall and put up new. Little more overall work and some extra debris to get rid of but it would be done just as fast and with no doubts.

    If it was plaster and in good shape I would consider cleaning and priming or dry walling over.

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Erik B.:

    If it was me I'd pull down old drywall and put up new. Little more overall work and some extra debris to get rid of but it would be done just as fast and with no doubts.

    If it was plaster and in good shape I would consider cleaning and priming or dry walling over.

     Erik, you're mostly right, as I see things. I've avoided responding to a lot of the comments, but I do want to repeat the main scenario that's one of the key criteria that would make scraping a painted popcorn ceiling in an old house a passable idea instead of covering with 1/4 in. drywall or replacing completely.

    In a lot of old houses in my area, the joist bays in the attic are filled with asbestos-contaminated vermiculite.

    The usual solution for this is to leave it in place and glue the access hatch for an attic like this shut, locking it off from the rest of the house. But if you open up the ceiling in an upstairs room, the vermiculite falls right down.

    This is the best reason, at least in my opinion, to go to the trouble of scraping out a popcorn ceiling in bad shape. You need to get rid of a lot of the popcorn to see where the plaster is sagging and needs to be repaired, and it's probably a lot cheaper and easier than hiring out the asbestos remediation of the entire attic to a certified company.

    You could of course go up to the attic with a shop vac and a bunch of bags, vacuum out all the vermiculite into bags, toss the bags down the hatch, and dump them somewhere. Welcome to your astronomical fine and your mesothilioma.

  • Investor · IL · Member since 2019 · 151 posts · 135 votes
    6y

    Well my offer on the house has been accepted, so I guess I'm in it for better or worse. After closing I'll get started and let you all know how it goes. Thanks so much @Jim K. for all the time you put into this post, and thank you to all who responded.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.