Seeking advise on replacing cast iron drain line with PVC pipe

Seeking advise on replacing cast iron drain line with PVC pipe

Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 15 votes

Hey BP fam! 

I recently purchased a 2 story duplex and will be doing a few updates over the next few months. I am looking to replace the cast iron drain pipe with a PVC scheduled 40 4" pipe. I am currently shopping around for quotes and would like to get some insight on this job from the ones that have experience with this. I will be removing/replacing the dry wall to make the pipe accessible for the plumber, I would also like to re-drain 2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms. Each unit is 2/1 with the same layout and the drain pipe runs in the middle with the kitchen on the first floor and bathrooms on the second floor above the kitchen. I am assuming I will have to remove part of the ceiling above the kitchen to access the drain lines to the bathtub and bathroom sink.

Do I need to acquire permits for this job and what would be the best way to go about replacing the whole cast iron pipe from the roof down to the crawl space. Would it be a good idea to also replace the pipe going out to the city tap and to install a 19" clean out outside the foundation?


Let me know what you guys think. Please see pictures of the cast iron pipe in the crawl space. 

0Reply
43 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zoran Domazet:

    Hey BP fam! 

    I recently purchased a 2 story duplex and will be doing a few updates over the next few months. I am looking to replace the cast iron drain pipe with a PVC scheduled 40 4" pipe. I am currently shopping around for quotes and would like to get some insight on this job from the ones that have experience with this. I will be removing/replacing the dry wall to make the pipe accessible for the plumber, I would also like to re-drain 2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms. Each unit is 2/1 with the same layout and the drain pipe runs in the middle with the kitchen on the first floor and bathrooms on the second floor above the kitchen. I am assuming I will have to remove part of the ceiling above the kitchen to access the drain lines to the bathtub and bathroom sink.

    Do I need to acquire permits for this job and what would be the best way to go about replacing the whole cast iron pipe from the roof down to the crawl space. Would it be a good idea to also replace the pipe going out to the city tap and to install a 19" clean out outside the foundation?


    Let me know what you guys think. Please see pictures of the cast iron pipe in the crawl space. 

    Is this a repair/update that you plan to do while you are making other updates to the property? If so, now is probably a good time to consider replacing the main stack. If not - you may consider waiting until you are going to update the bathrooms/kitchen. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    @Justin Tahilramani I would like to replace the main stack and pipes going into the toilet/sink/bath tub. The reason I would like to replace the main stack asap is due to a minor crack that's causing it to leak into the crawl space and I am worried it could get worse and cause issues to the surrounding dry wall and wood. 

  • Developer · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zoran Domazet:

    Hey BP fam! 

    I recently purchased a 2 story duplex and will be doing a few updates over the next few months. I am looking to replace the cast iron drain pipe with a PVC scheduled 40 4" pipe. I am currently shopping around for quotes and would like to get some insight on this job from the ones that have experience with this. I will be removing/replacing the dry wall to make the pipe accessible for the plumber, I would also like to re-drain 2 kitchens and 2 bathrooms. Each unit is 2/1 with the same layout and the drain pipe runs in the middle with the kitchen on the first floor and bathrooms on the second floor above the kitchen. I am assuming I will have to remove part of the ceiling above the kitchen to access the drain lines to the bathtub and bathroom sink.

    Do I need to acquire permits for this job and what would be the best way to go about replacing the whole cast iron pipe from the roof down to the crawl space. Would it be a good idea to also replace the pipe going out to the city tap and to install a 19" clean out outside the foundation?


    Let me know what you guys think. Please see pictures of the cast iron pipe in the crawl space. 

    I would recommend you get a permit and have everything inspected. If you want to replace the sewer line all the way to the main you need to check with the city to find out what's required and then get a contractor to look at that as well. You can also have it scoped to evaluate the condition. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fayetteville, NC · Member since 2014 · 884 posts · 670 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Zoran Domazet:

    @Justin Tahilramani I would like to replace the main stack and pipes going into the toilet/sink/bath tub. The reason I would like to replace the main stack asap is due to a minor crack that's causing it to leak into the crawl space and I am worried it could get worse and cause issues to the surrounding dry wall and wood. 

    You may be able to cut out the section of the pipe that is leaking and patch it using Fernco fittings. Its a band-aid fix, but who know how long that could hold you over..... Could be good for a few more years. Really depends on the current integrity of the rest of the pipe. Replacing the main line to the road is easily a $5k+ job...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.