Exposed nails on last row of shingles for sloped flat roof.

Exposed nails on last row of shingles for sloped flat roof.

Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hiw do I cover nail heads from last row of shingles?  I started from bottom to top of aloped flat roof. Nails are above drip edge.  

0Reply
75 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · OverTheRainbow · Member since 2020 · 607 posts · 909 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Alfredo Corral:

    Hiw do I cover nail heads from last row of shingles?  I started from bottom to top of aloped flat roof. Nails are above drip edge.  

    Since the photo Is sideways it is difficult to see if the roof is actually flat, or does water run awayfrom the nails when it rains? Normally there is ridge cap. Exposed nail heads are called "shiners" and roofing tar is put over them. It just seems unusual to have that many exposed nails. Good job, tho'. That represents a lot of work.

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks John. It has a slight slope that is 2.5/12 of a pitch and is just two plywoods.  Small roof. The picture I posted earlier shows the ending of the roof without continuation.  The shingles with exposed nails are on top row.  

  • Investor · Northeast, NE · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 83 votes
    6y

    I would try and fit a cap shingle sort of side saddle. Nailed on top and on vertical beam.  If that does not work out I would dab a bit of roofing tar on each nail and call it a day.

    HERE that flat of roof doesn’t last long.  They make rolled roofing that works better on that slope.


    What is the purpose of that structure?  Might want to rethink the next one you build. More slope and the other half for roof reasons OR metal roof

  • Member since 2020 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Thanks Don M. 

    Its just a small 7x7 structure to place a gas grill. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.