How to Strip paint from a deck

How to Strip paint from a deck

Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 11 votes

How do you strip thick paint off a deck? I put a little paint stripper on a patch, but it just gummies up the top layer slightly. Belt sander did a little better, but I would never finish. Is there a technique or product that works best? It looks like deck-over or similar paint.

0Reply
113 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 9 votes
6y

@Brian Morris have your tried a pressure washer? Most likely you are not going to be able to stain a deck that has been painted. You will have a hard time getting 100% of the paint off. If you choose to lay new deck boards, there is currently a shortage of treated lumber and you might have a hard time finding what you need. You should let new deck boards dry out for 6 months before staining in my opinion. Good Luck on your project.

See this reply in the discussion

34 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Pat L.

    The Diamabrush looks interesting as hell. Both in the handheld size and the floor buffer size. Not so much for decks, for the floors in my places. I might not want to attach it to a single-speed grinder, but a polisher? Yeah, that looks like it has possibilities for my kind of properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Jim K. you're up early !!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y

    @Pat L.

    Ain't no rest for the wicked.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    @Jim K. Yeah right ... I bet you're up early counting your money before noon !!!

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:

    @Jim K. Yeah right ... I bet you're up early counting your money before noon !!!

    During COVID, I've gotta get my OTB picks in extra early at the Swedish greyhound parks. The Göteborgs Hundkapplöpningsklubb in particular wants all bets from America in before 7 am. My Swedish isn't so good so I need extra time to study the training reports.

  • Mark F.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
    6y

    This stuff is amazing, used it on an old deck and front porch and it looked amazing afterwards, I highly recommend it, you can even add texture to it (ie sand like material) to make it slip resistant.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium-Advanced-DeckOver-5-gal-SC-533-Cedar-Naturaltone-Smooth-Solid-Color-Exterior-Wood-and-Concrete-Coating-500005/308486749

  • Huntsville, AL · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 11 votes
    6y

    @Mark F. how long ago did you do this?  Just asking if its held up over time.  One time I used something like that on my old deck, and it started peeling.  That having been said, I don't think I bothered even cleaning it or prepping the surface at the time.

  • Mark F.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Elgin, IL · Member since 2016 · 326 posts · 270 votes
    6y

    @Brian Morris this was October or so on a flip I did and sold so I can't say how well it holds up but the reviews are pretty good and it has great reviews as well as listed as being in the top 3



    https://www.mymove.com/painting/guides/best-deck-paint/

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.