First flip help request. Second front door removal question.

First flip help request. Second front door removal question.

Rental Property Investor · Wichita Falls · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 7 votes

For this flip in a C grade neighborhood, what is the budget friendly way to remove this door? I am specifically referring to the closed door in the image, it leads to the front-most bedroom. The siding is old and unique, and I haven't been able to find anything to match. My only real thought is to remove it all, and replace with new siding of some sort (the cheapest I could find, most likely), but I am open to suggestions for creative solutions.

FYI: My budget is very tight, and I will be doing the work myself. The project has barely started, but I am looking to finish the exterior quickly before winter hits (in Wichita Falls, Tx).


Also, there is a significant crack in the porch as well (enclosed in red). I don't want to remove or replace, but if anyone has a suggestion on how to cosmetically help I would really appreciate it.

1Reply
80 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2020 · 33 posts · 25 votes
    5y

    Hey Jared,

    It's kind of hard to tell from the pic, but that appears to be "Dutch Lap" siding. You won't find it in the big box stores, but you very possibly might find it at one of your local lumber yards (they might have to order it). I would remove the door, stud the opening, sheathe it, then remove the siding between the window and the corner. Install the new siding, insulate, sheetrock, trim and you're done! Regarding the crack in the cement: If there isn't a lot of vertical or horizontal movement, I would probably just fill it with some type of elastomeric filler. "Crack Stix" worked well for me. If there IS a lot of movement, you might have a larger problem to contend with; call a cement contractor for an opinion. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.