Looking for advice on - how would you make changes to the exterior? (picture included)

Looking for advice on - how would you make changes to the exterior? (picture included)

Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes

I have under contract a 4/2 cape cod with an ARV of 400k(conservatively). I want to attach a few pictures in hopes that some of you guys can help me with ideas on what to do with the exterior. The problem, in my opinion, is that the whole thing is red...siding, brick, and roof. I know J Scott mentioned briefly in his book that the whole red color scheme is out of date and since this is in a primarily high end neighborhood I know that the curb appeal is going to go a long way. So please, I am open to any suggestions, ideas and tips you guys have!!

0Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
13y

I'd go a charcoal gray for the shingles :) Taupe color for body of house, grey color for trim. (or opposite) Also, the awnings.. take them off! if you must have some type of awning, do wood posts with overhang. That house oozes charm, I love it! Maybe build up front yard around tree with raised planter, and add some colorful shrubs. Good luck! I know it seems like a lot of work.

Try out colors on Sherwin Williams, they have free software and it's easy to use.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    I'm not seeing it inline. Linked: picture 1, picture 2, picture 3.

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes
    13y

    Chris Martin Thanks Chris, not sure why they weren't coming up.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    It is definitely red. I'm not sure I can be of help... paint the siding?

  • Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Paint siding and change the roof (modern colors and an off-white accent if you choose white for the accent color). IDK...Sherwin Williams Dorian Gray and ???? or something in that line? Might match the brick well. Off course, looking at a pic here. Go to a similar price/style neighborhood and steal some colors.

    Update roof color. Most of the color at front of house is in the roof. I'd change the roof, also - changing the roof color will have a large impact for the return on this property. Painting and not changing the roof - not sure that'll fly.

    Are you going to landscape?

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes
    13y

    Well painting the siding would be the most cost effective for sure, I just don't know if in this neighborhood it will be considered enough.

  • Rehabber · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Yea, that definitely has the red color scheme going on! Just my two cents:
    I'd power wash that stone veneer and grab one of the colors out of there to paint the siding and the brick. I know some people arent fans of painting brick, but i love the transformation it can give a house. I'd also change the roof. I've heard about people actually painting shingles with a certain kind of paint, although, Im not sure if it does a decent job or not. Interesting thought though. So basically you'd be using that stacked stone to come up with a color palette. Also, I'd take down the metal awnings, get a nice front door and add some key landscape elements to balance out the front. That house could be really gorgeous!

  • Investor · Reston, VA · Member since 2011 · 683 posts · 191 votes
    13y

    How about a portico with columns and wood railings at the front? Agree with painting the brick (shale green?) and changing the roof. The back is pretty "boxy" looking. Are you switching to central air? Can you make the rear more cohesive with a trellis between the addition and back door? Or how about french sliders and a deck instead of the large window?

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes
    13y

    WOW Cheryl C. Robyn Roberts Andy Mallos thanks for the great ideas. I plan on doing some light landscaping but with this exterior there are so many options. I'd love to do it all but unfortunately we don't always get back what we put in, so I'll have to keep it within a reasonable budget.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Lafi S. I'd paint the house a taupe/gray color that would go with the stonework. Then choose a trim that is an accent for the trim and windows. Trim boards look like they may need replaced too. Replace the roof (looks like it needs it) with higher grade comp roof shingles in gray or black. Paint the garage door the same color as the body of the house. (Remember... accent what you want the eye to catch ... not the garage doors!) Paint the front door an accent color.

    If you don't know what colors to choose, take the color of the stone work (that's what determines your choices) then go to the paint store. The manufacturers have already matched Body/trim/accent, in their brochures - find one that works with the stone, and use it.

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes
    13y

    Karen Margrave thanks for great advice and color options. I was thinking going black with the roof as well.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    I'd go a charcoal gray for the shingles :) Taupe color for body of house, grey color for trim. (or opposite) Also, the awnings.. take them off! if you must have some type of awning, do wood posts with overhang. That house oozes charm, I love it! Maybe build up front yard around tree with raised planter, and add some colorful shrubs. Good luck! I know it seems like a lot of work.

    Try out colors on Sherwin Williams, they have free software and it's easy to use.

  • Bremerton, WA · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    I agree with Karen on the color options. I learned a painful lesson on roof color recently - go with the gray/black option and depending on your brink color maybe consider the brown/gray roof shades, sometimes called woodland?, etc. (stay away from all black - black limits your house color significantly).

    The pewter gray color may match better with the taupe/gray paints and your brick. You may want to drive around the neighborhood and see what other roof colors match well with the brick color you have. We are looking at photos on our screens - not the best for color matching.

    The roof color affects the entire look of the house - this is significant and worth careful thought (tough to replace the roof...again - easier to repaint a second coat).

  • Real Estate Agent · North Jersey, NJ · Member since 2008 · 287 posts · 51 votes
    13y

    Thanks again...these color options are perfect! Can't wait to post the finished product.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.