Shower vs tub (already a tub in 2nd bathroom)

Shower vs tub (already a tub in 2nd bathroom)

Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes

Hello all,

This is my first flip. I will have a tub in the second bathroom. This is not a luxury property. For the master bath, I am trying to figure out if I should go with a walk-in shower or a tub. I have read that showers are more expensive. However, I see nice shower doors like this for around $500:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KO...

For the shower floor, I actually prefer the uncluttered look of shower pans which are not much money (and will match the pure white vanity countertops). Therefore, it seems it would not cost more for a shower. Am I missing something? A bit more wall tile, yes, but no tub. 

Also, I am thinking of larger format tiles (9x18) for shower walls (marble-looking ceramic) which will should save money too such as this. Am foreseeable problems with this?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fl...

Am I wrong? I do not want to do this if it will end up costing significantly more than a tub.

REALLY appreciate your help!!

Have a great day:-)

0Reply
65 views

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    5y

    @Shannon Leight Congrats on the first flip and good luck with it!

    The cost really depends on the quality. You can install a $5k shower or a $400 bath tub, or vice versa. If you're doing the install yourself, I'd say that a bathtub will generally be a bit more expensive than a shower, but again, it's not a hard and fast rule.

    For a rental property, it's good to have at least one bathtub. It sounds like you already have that, so you are pretty free to do either here. I think the tile you linked to looks great and I would not anticipate any issues with it as long as the install is done properly.

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Great thanks!

  • Nathan ZiererPro Member
    Architect · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2020 · 50 posts · 40 votes
    5y

    You mentioned this was a flip.  Home owners want the shower in the master bath as it looks more updated and not a fluff and buff of an older house layout.  The finishes you picked out should definitely give it that upper scale look and though you are paying for a little more tile and a shower door, all of your other costs should be relatively the same. When looking at houses people want at least one tub for child bathing or soaking for them selves (though I don't think many people end up doing this).  I say go with the shower since you already have a tub in the house.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    @Shannon Leight, shower all the way.  If not high end, you can do a vinyl pan and likely have no problem selling.  A custom built tile base is much nicer, and may not be terribly much more cost.  Large format tiles might be much MORE labor intensive if this is an older house and the walls are not perfectly flat.  Any bowing in walls will be exemplified with large format

  • Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Ok good to know! Thanks!

  • Property Manager · TX · Member since 2019 · 327 posts · 69 votes
    5y

    So you guys are saying if a rental house that has a tub in secondary bathroom, but not in the master bath then it's still not a deal breaker?  I am considering buying a house like this and can't make decision because it has walk-in shower in master bath (no tub), but it does have a tub in secondary bathroom.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    5y

    There is no rule and everyone has their preferences.  For a family house, have at least one bathroom with a tub.  It is important to make sure that things function well rather than having a check list of amenities.  You can have a separate tub and shower, but if the shower is tiny, there is no point having it.

  • Port Chester, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 157 votes
    5y

    A tub may be best if there is none in the home since young families may want a tub in the home for young children. You can get an entire shower enclosure set for around a grand in Lowes or Home Depot. Remember, you are designing this for a flip, not for you and your family to live in. Consider taking a look at other homes on the market in your area to see how they are designing their homes for resale. Keeping material costs down is paramount.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.