Black glue on concrete?Is it dangerous?Can I leave it?

Black glue on concrete?Is it dangerous?Can I leave it?

Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes

After moldy parquet removal the glue was scraped with scraper but still lots of black left. Certain company did that and they are saying its no mold and can be left like that. Is it dangerous? Should I somehow try to remove it? Thanks!

0Reply
34 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 611 posts · 665 votes
    5y

    I don't still have pictures of my first rental house, but it is on a slab, and the home was built in the late 60s when lime-colored asbestos tile was all the rage. You want to ensure that the adhesive wasn't black mastic glue. You'll pretty much know it WAS if the house was built in the 60s.

    Either way, we put 2 to 3 coats of oil-based polyurethane on the floor and lay something overtop, LVP is my go-to, and read that we wouldn't have any issues. Much like lead paint. As long as their is no peeling, chipping or exposure, it meets code, is what I've been told.

  • Investor · Las Vegas & British Columbia · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    You can leave it if it's covered up with something new. Otherwise, get it tested if you're planning on handling it. 

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    Condo is from 1970 with original wood parquets floor. Is there chance its asbestos even under wood floor? Partially its yellow to brown and partially black (I believe thats the mold part) Thanks.

  • Contractor · Coachella Valley, CA · Member since 2017 · 252 posts · 176 votes
    5y

    My first thought based on pictures is asbestos, as stated above.  If this is a concern to you get it tested, if tests come back positive, look for an asbestos abatement company to advise you on what needs to be done.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.