How to get glue adhesive off hardwood floors

How to get glue adhesive off hardwood floors

Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 31 votes

Hi, I'm trying to pull up sticky tiles that were installed over hardwood floors. No problem getting up tiles because I'm using a heat gun. But the sticky residue left in the floors has been an issue. Any suggestions?

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5y

Don't try to sand any type of adhesive. It will immediately gum up the sandpaper which will stop sanding in seconds.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    5y

    Can you sand them down and refinish? I imagine getting the adhesive off and maintaining the original veneer would be pretty tedious. 

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 431 posts · 281 votes
    5y

    Goo gone. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Genny Li:

    Goo gone. 

    Right. With major ventilation.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 431 posts · 281 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Bob H.:
    Originally posted by @Genny Li:

    Goo gone. 

    Right. With major ventilation.

     Goof off needs the ventilation. Goo gone is the oily stuff. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2014 · 414 posts · 272 votes
    5y

    @Genny Li Good point!

  • Member since 2021 · 56 posts · 27 votes
    5y

    I had this problem in a room a couple years ago.  Used gentle heat and careful hand scraping, mostly with a putty knife.  It's slow but I was afraid the chemicals would dissolve the black mastic and soak in, staining the floor forever.  

  • Contractor · Hopatcong, NJ · Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 14 votes
    5y

    @Jon Collins

    I assume you'll be refinishing the floors correct? You can use a buffer attachment called a diamabrush before getting the belt sander out. It'll make quick work of it.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I did run across a video of someone suggesting Goo Gone to clean the glue on hardwood.  i gave it a try and it worked pretty well.  

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @David Vargas, yes I will be refinishing the floors.  Goo Gone did appear to work pretty well.  But will also try what you suggested.  Thanks

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 31 votes
    5y

    @Genny Li, I ran across a video on youtube and gave Goo Gone a try.  It did the trick.  However it is oily, lol.  Had to wipe it off really well but it worked.  Thanks

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5y

    Don't try to sand any type of adhesive. It will immediately gum up the sandpaper which will stop sanding in seconds.

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2018 · 431 posts · 281 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jon Collins:

    @Genny Li, I ran across a video on youtube and gave Goo Gone a try.  It did the trick.  However it is oily, lol.  Had to wipe it off really well but it worked.  Thanks

     Yep, you can clean easily with any gentle soap. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.