1% Rule in Louisille Kentucky? How possible and where?

1% Rule in Louisille Kentucky? How possible and where?

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes

Hello everyone,

I've been researching many properties in the local area and curious what areas everyone is looking to buy into for a buy and hold?    I have had a few deals come up in J-Town and Fern Creek that even at a low cost and adding necessary rehab, the rents will not get to 1%.    Anyone have any suggestions on areas to focus on?   Or, perhaps, and more than likely, I have just not found anything worth buying yet.

While I like J-town, Hikes Point and Fern Creek because I grew up around those areas, I realize that those may be more difficult to get near 1% than say, in the west end or other areas. 

Anyone with some tips on areas and perhaps where they have been able to hit on the 1%-2% rule of thumb on rent.   It just never seemed like rent in Louisville was very high compared to property values over the years as I've minimally been looking around. 

When I listen to the podcasts and listen to the guys talk about filling out the online calculator using $60,000 property and $1000 rent from their areas, I haven't come across that.   Wondering if anyone locally has and where I may be able to focus on looking to achieve a cash flowing property.

Thanks

0Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 331 posts · 278 votes
10y

My Rule of Thumb is that Rules of Thumb are foolish and should be avoided at all costs.  You buy a property because it meets your goals.  Your goals are likely different from mine or anyone else's.  They may even change as you age and experience different life events.  There is no Rule of Thumb for Life.

If you have a full-time job that you don't intend on leaving and you are acquiring homes for retirement in 20-30 years, you may take less cash-flow now in exchange for fewer management issues and/or better 'expected' rent and property appreciation in the future.  If you are going to manage the properties yourself and you value your time, you may choose to buy in an area that's closer rather than across town.  If you are looking to maximize cash flow and don't care about the extra management or property appreciation, you can find that too.

The first step (if you haven't done this already) is to determine your goals. Ask yourself, "why am I doing this?" "Are my needs immediate or for some time in the future?" "How much time can I really devote to REI?" and so on. Second, you can set targets for 1) number of homes owned, 2) monthly profit now and in the future, and 3) the amount of time you want to put towards this. Once you understand this, the type of property / location will naturally fall-out.

At that point, the only thing left to do is make sure you are analyzing the deal properly.  For buy and hold properties, this means including debt service, taxes, insurance, management, and reserves for vacancy/maintenance/repairs.  Simply take the rent subtract these factors and see if the remainder meets your profit target.  If it does, it's a deal!  If not, it isn't.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Im curios to know myself. I'm a newbie myself but the main factors are the purchase price and neighborhood rents. However the 2% rule is just a rule of thumb to be used as a guideline. If you are cash flow positive then you're good to go
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2011 · 331 posts · 278 votes
    10y

    My Rule of Thumb is that Rules of Thumb are foolish and should be avoided at all costs.  You buy a property because it meets your goals.  Your goals are likely different from mine or anyone else's.  They may even change as you age and experience different life events.  There is no Rule of Thumb for Life.

    If you have a full-time job that you don't intend on leaving and you are acquiring homes for retirement in 20-30 years, you may take less cash-flow now in exchange for fewer management issues and/or better 'expected' rent and property appreciation in the future.  If you are going to manage the properties yourself and you value your time, you may choose to buy in an area that's closer rather than across town.  If you are looking to maximize cash flow and don't care about the extra management or property appreciation, you can find that too.

    The first step (if you haven't done this already) is to determine your goals. Ask yourself, "why am I doing this?" "Are my needs immediate or for some time in the future?" "How much time can I really devote to REI?" and so on. Second, you can set targets for 1) number of homes owned, 2) monthly profit now and in the future, and 3) the amount of time you want to put towards this. Once you understand this, the type of property / location will naturally fall-out.

    At that point, the only thing left to do is make sure you are analyzing the deal properly.  For buy and hold properties, this means including debt service, taxes, insurance, management, and reserves for vacancy/maintenance/repairs.  Simply take the rent subtract these factors and see if the remainder meets your profit target.  If it does, it's a deal!  If not, it isn't.

  • Real Estate Agent · Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    @James Beam I've been looking around the Okalona / Newburg area and having the same issue. I'm just getting started, but from what I can tell the kind of cash flow and rent they talk about in a lot of the articles on here and in the podcasts just isn't feasible in Louisville. 

    That being said, @Erik Hitzelberger has a really good point. As I get to know the Louisville market I'm realizing that a lot of the preconceived ideas I had just (2% rule for example) just don't work here. Of course, I could just not be finding any deals either! lol

    Anyways, look for deals, run your numbers, and stick to your plan. Best of luck and feel free to get in touch if you ever need anything :)

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2010 · 55 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    2% deals are hard to find in Louisville right now, definitely a sellers market. All of mine are well above the 2% rule but they are all in Portland. With that said, Portland tenants can "chew you up and spit you out" if you're not very careful. Those great ROI numbers in poor areas can be misleading. If I had to do all over again, I would buy in areas that attract better quality tenants.

    Personally, I would never go under 1% unless I was very confident the area is going up in value.   I wish I had bought those Germantown properties a few years back when they were going from $20k - $40k, and are now selling for over $100k :(

    If you're trying to find stuff on the MLS right now, forget it. You need to be driving neighborhoods and sending out letters to pre-forclosure, probate, and absentee owners.

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Where do you find preforeclosure listings
  • Clay SmithBusiness Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
    10y

    In Louisville I see 2% on 40k houses and 1% on 120k houses. In between is a sliding scale. You go past 120k and you get into Flip territory. The neighborhoods you mention are 140k to 180k houses and those are harder to get 1%. 

    Wether you buy turnkey or rehab yourself can impact a % based rule as well.

    NOTE: There are always exceptions I am obviously generalizing our market. 

    LREI Property Management LLC4.6449 Reviews
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2010 · 55 posts · 42 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Lewis:

    Where do you find preforeclosure listings

     Here's a good place to start...

    http://www.jeffcomm.org/

  • Investor · Brandenburg, KY · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    @Erik Hitzelberger Great point, rules of thumb are always rules of thumb.  That is not always what you are looking for.  Yes @James Beam it is hard to find 2%-1% in the local north central areas of Kentucky, but there are other methods to look at.  You mention the west end over J-town.  Yes you can invest in that area and will follow the guide lines of the 2% rule.  Be aware though, if you invest in a low income area all your cash flow will be going into repairs and maintenance, and court cost dealing with the tenants.  I am located in Meade county ky, which is mainly a middle class area.  Here it is hard to find anything that follow that rule of thumb.  So you have to make own methods that work for yourself.  My guide lines are, will it pay for itself in 10 - 15 years, can I make the 1st and 2nd months rent cover taxes and insurance, and is there money left over after each months mortgage payment.  Those are guide lines that I follow, if so I buy it.  You have to get creative to make purchasing property work for you in your area.  Just remember double check your math and the numbers will never lie to you.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 142 posts · 77 votes
    10y

    All these guys are giving fantastic advice. However I'm in Old Louisville with a 200k, 5 bedroom house and I'm close to the 2% rule AND I bought off the MLS.

    It can be done.

  • Louisville, KY · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    I'm new to investing as well, but I think in Louisville you can find several properties at the 1% rule mark in decent areas. For me, cash flow is my main goal, so I would need more than 1%. Will you be able to find houses at the 1% mark in St. Matthews, Highlands, Germantown? I'm finding the answer is no, unless you buy a property at foreclosure or you entice someone to sell through yellow letters and the like. But on the MLS, there is simply no room for investors in those high appreciation areas. My strategy is to go after the "B" neighborhoods, where the margins are better, but hopefully not as high maintenance as the west end. An example would be certain neighborhoods in Valley Station, PRP, Beechmont, etc. If you are open to multifamily, there are several properties in old louisville that meet your 1% rule, but those 100+ year old buildings bring with them other challenges to keep in mind. As I said, I'm new to the game as well, but these are my observations on the louisville market.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 24 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Clay Smith @Kevin Nalley and everyone for the info! What do you guys think of areas like Okolona (40219), Hillview (40229), or even Newburg/Rangeland (40218 I believe)? I'm also very familiar with those areas and have been able to find a few that looked doable for buy and holds there... I have seen some sell in the $45-$60k range that have ARV in the $85k range. Little 1000sf 3/1 on a slab, or perhaps even a basement...

    Do you think a 3/1 in those areas fetch $800-$850 or is that being too optimistic?

    Thanks again!

  • Clay SmithBusiness Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
    10y

    I use rent-o-meter to make sure they are in the right range. Seems doable. There aren't many places I don't like anymore. I can honestly say I would buy a house anywhere in a 1hr driving distance. I care more about the assets time, cost, and long term outlook than the location. I would buy on 22nd street next toa dead body if it cash flows. 

    However, I assume you intend to self manage your rentals. Therefore, you are in better than most given the 80k arv. 

    Seems the best blend for me is a 60k arv rental. Just cheap enough to self manage and rents good enough to pocket some cash even when fully leveraged.

    LREI Property Management LLC4.6449 Reviews
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2010 · 55 posts · 42 votes
    10y

    @James Beam,   I personally think Shively, Beechmont, Germantown, Hillview, Okolona, are all good rental areas.  I was talking with Jeanna Ashley (VP of River City Bank) a couple weeks ago and we discussed what she thought was a good price range for rental homes, she confirmed what I already knew... under $100k (Single Family Homes) tends to be the sweet spot in our area.   As many have mentioned, the numbers have to work, and like Clay, I tend to use rent-o-meter as my guide if it's an area I'm not real familiar with. 

  • Clay SmithBusiness Member
    Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2013 · 419 posts · 244 votes
    10y

    Here is a link to the properties I own, you can see where I invest.  My Properties

    LREI Property Management LLC4.6449 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.