Tax Deeds and Ted Thomas Course

Tax Deeds and Ted Thomas Course

Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Has anyone bought Ted Thomas real estate course, Wealth Without Risk?  I am more interested in tax deeds than tax liens.  Anyone use his course?  I am looking to buy homes in North and South Carolina.

1Reply
263 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2023 · 51 posts · 47 votes
2y
Quote from @Vamsi D.:

@Don McAlpine Are you talking about the package https://tedthomas.com/workshopdeal/ which includes weekly call with coaches,  daily 30 minute facilitator calls and magic map (interactive)? Did you find it useful? Is there any facebook group or whatsapp group where you can intereact with other Ted Thomas students?


 Hey Vamsi,

Yes, that is the package that I purchased.  With that you'll get two video training courses, the weekly coaching calls, the daily facilitator calls, and the "Magic Map".  All of these are useful, but how useful will depend on your existing real estate experience when you sign up.

Is it useful?  

The training materials: Yes from the standpoint of learning what tax deeds and liens are and how/why they are sold.  My issue with the training courses is that the content is very dated (some clips go back as far as 2008) and superficial in depth.  I went into this with a real estate license, so my understanding of how property is bought and sold was strong, but there is little in the training about this.  Many of the people I met in the Auction Preparation Workshop (more on this later) were struggling with understanding things like title insurance, the varying types of deeds, etc.

The weekly coaching calls are very good and the facilitator calls are good as you get started to learn about how to do research.  You can ask questions in advance and the coaches or facilitators will address them directly.

The "Magic Map" is useful.  It provides links to each county office's sites for when you're doing research.  However, I've found that www.netronline.com provides the same and is more easily accessed.

Ted Thomas does everthing possible to keep students from interacting, so there is no Facebook or WhatsApp group established through the organization, but there may be groups established outside of the TT organization.  I haven't found any personally.  

Overall, it's a good way to get started, but depending on your experience and knowlege level in the buying and selling of real estate you might need more than is offered through the courses.  The Auction Preparation Workshop (somewhere around $250 for three days at a hotel in FL and offered after you purchase the training) was pitched as an intense learning experience.  Day one was good with plenty of useful content.  Day two was mostly a pitch-fest for the various TT one-on-one coaching programs (they ranged from $75k down to $15k and I can't speak to the value as I didn't sign up and don't know any others who did.  They sold out of their offerings during my workshop).  Day three was a presentation from a lawyer selling his tax reduction program.  There were other items on the agenda that were disregarded, which I found maddening.

You should also check out www.taxsaleacademy.com if you're looking for training to get started.  The program is less expensive, more in-depth on basic real estate concepts, and doesn't pitch you anything over and above what you already spent, though there is more training available if you want it.  They have plenty of videos on YouTube you can check out.  I have no affiliation with the TaxSaleAcademy other than having accessed their training.

So overall there is value.  How much will depend on where you're beginning your journey.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott Green What is the price? I’ve only quickly looked at his program but it seems very basic and not much he you couldn’t learn here. The problem with tax sale is it is very state specific and vary tremendously.

    Tax sale is definitely not “without risk”. 

    @John Underwood is the SC tax sale expert here.

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    Thank you for the reply.  I sat in on a $49.00 class yesterday and was basic, but not bad.  Of course, lots of testimonials, typical of on-line sales.  And, upsell throughout and at the end.  Big discount due to it all being on line or digital now.  Total cost, with lots of "free things"  :), thrown in for a big discount, only $1,999.  Not ready to pull any triggers at this point, just doing some research to see if anyone has used his service, he comes  up first on google and the typical good and not so good reviews.  Not sure if I have ever invested in anything without risk.  Just doing my due diligence.  

    Thank you.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott Green

    Pay an attorney in that state you want to invest $200/hr for 10 hours and you will learn 1000x more information on tax sales

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    Has anyone bought Ted Thomas real estate course, Wealth Without Risk?  I am more interested in tax deeds than tax liens.  Anyone use his course?  I am looking to buy homes in North and South Carolina.


     Can't buy Tax deeds at auction in SC, only Tax Liens. You might be able to buy a tax deed from someone that has bought the lien at auction waited through the redemption period and received the tax deed. I sold a house with a QC deed a few weeks back that was my tax deed.

    Tax Deeds are not a great deal from what I have heard. You are buying the house at a tax deed sale so people tend to pay much closer to retail than at a tax lien sale.

  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    $49 is a good price....much more than that for a national course in my opinion is a waste of money.  The national courses are pretty tough to learn the local specifics in my opinion....and tax sales are very very local.

    Find someone local where you want to invest....check your local REIAs. See if any of the taxing authorities have classes. At a local REIA you might pay anywhere from $20-$100 to hear from a local guy that knows 10x more about local investing than any national road show.

    Check NTLA website to see if they have any white papers on NC/SC.   

    If you are convinced this is the guru you want to follow, pick up a cheap resale on amazon or ebay...read and study it cover to cover.  Also the book the 16% solution.   If you're still gung ho after that, then consider the full price course.

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Chris Seveney, Actually, that was my plan, next. I have googled and found a few law firms that actually seem to specialize in this and have listings of houses that are about to go to auction or already have bids that will be granted before the date someone can offer a higher bid.  Actually seems fairly straight forward as far as auctions go, but I am certain there are a few things that must be completed before hand, like registering etc.  Lots to learn, but nothing seems too concerning, as of now.  I appreciate your input and will make some calls to attorneys over the next few weeks.

    I also looked at your business model and all very interesting.  Right now, I am not in need of passive or even income on a month to month basis.  But, nearing retirement and then, will be looking more at the type of vehicle  you supply.  Thanks again. 

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @Bruce Lynn

    Yea, $49 was not the issue.  $2,000.00 is a different story and was looking to see if anyone here had any experience.  Fully agree, on a national level, very hard to gauge anything and need more local information.  As well, some of the info seemed to me, perhaps a bit outdated. NTLA was my next step.  

    So far, I am liking this forum and appreciate all the information so far. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I mainly just but at tax lien sales. I sell some of these occasionally.  I have a 2 bedroom 1 bath in highly sought after Judson Mill area of downtown Greenville, but haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet as I have several other projects going on right now.

    Most of my rental portfolio has been acquired from tax lien sales.

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood, So, most of your rental portfolio are from tax lien sales that you ended up getting at the end of the redemption period, a year of so?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, So, most of your rental portfolio are from tax lien sales that you ended up getting at the end of the redemption period, a year of so?


     Correct. 

    I keep almost all of them I get and turn them into rentals. One I cleared the deed and flipped it due to the area getting $225/sq ft.

  • Member since 2023 · 51 posts · 47 votes
    3y

    Hey Scott,

    I took the TT intro course, bought the training, and attended one of their three-day workshops.

    Prior to enrolling, I searched for lien/deed training courses and TT has an excellent SEO manager, so I ended up going that route.  There are classes daily that touch on different topics, and a weekly call with one of their coaches for Q&A. The coaches are good, but tend to have better knowledge in specific markets (TT does have a coach that specializes in SC). Overall it's OK.

    I am a Realtor, so I went into the training with a solid understanding of how properties are bought and sold.  My take on TT is that they give you just enough info in everything they do to remain interested and get hyped up, and then they push hard to sell their coaching.  At the three-day workshop, day one was filled with success stories and the coaches describing strategies they implemented in buying and selling tax defaulted properties.  Day two was a hard sale on their coaching programs that started at $50k and went down to something like $15k (no, I didn't sign up).  Day three was a presentation from an attorney hawking a tax-reduction home training course and half of the printed agenda for the day was ignored.  I don't personally know anyone who signed up for the training from either TT or the attorney, so I can't speak to that.

    My suggestion would be that if you don't have any real estate specific education, take the real estate pre-licensing classes in your state.  They're relatively inexpensive and will give you the background in real estate concepts that will speed up your ability to intake knowledge specific to tax liens and deeds.  I would then sign up with the Tax Lien Academy (no, I'm not paid to promote them), as I have found their training to be more specific and better laid out, and the owner Casey Denman makes himself available to members for questions.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    @Don McAlpine Are you talking about the package https://tedthomas.com/workshopdeal/ which includes weekly call with coaches,  daily 30 minute facilitator calls and magic map (interactive)? Did you find it useful? Is there any facebook group or whatsapp group where you can intereact with other Ted Thomas students?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I do have one that is in Judson Mill , Greenville SC if you want to know more about it.

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I do have one that is in Judson Mill , Greenville SC if you want to know more about it.


     I may be interested.  Can you send me details?  Not sure if you would rather send things via email, or on this forum.  Let me know and I will respond.  Thanks

    SG

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I do have one that is in Judson Mill , Greenville SC if you want to know more about it.


     I may be interested.  Can you send me details?  Not sure if you would rather send things via email, or on this forum.  Let me know and I will respond.  Thanks

    SG

    send me a PM.
  • Member since 2023 · 51 posts · 47 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Vamsi D.:

    @Don McAlpine Are you talking about the package https://tedthomas.com/workshopdeal/ which includes weekly call with coaches,  daily 30 minute facilitator calls and magic map (interactive)? Did you find it useful? Is there any facebook group or whatsapp group where you can intereact with other Ted Thomas students?


     Hey Vamsi,

    Yes, that is the package that I purchased.  With that you'll get two video training courses, the weekly coaching calls, the daily facilitator calls, and the "Magic Map".  All of these are useful, but how useful will depend on your existing real estate experience when you sign up.

    Is it useful?  

    The training materials: Yes from the standpoint of learning what tax deeds and liens are and how/why they are sold.  My issue with the training courses is that the content is very dated (some clips go back as far as 2008) and superficial in depth.  I went into this with a real estate license, so my understanding of how property is bought and sold was strong, but there is little in the training about this.  Many of the people I met in the Auction Preparation Workshop (more on this later) were struggling with understanding things like title insurance, the varying types of deeds, etc.

    The weekly coaching calls are very good and the facilitator calls are good as you get started to learn about how to do research.  You can ask questions in advance and the coaches or facilitators will address them directly.

    The "Magic Map" is useful.  It provides links to each county office's sites for when you're doing research.  However, I've found that www.netronline.com provides the same and is more easily accessed.

    Ted Thomas does everthing possible to keep students from interacting, so there is no Facebook or WhatsApp group established through the organization, but there may be groups established outside of the TT organization.  I haven't found any personally.  

    Overall, it's a good way to get started, but depending on your experience and knowlege level in the buying and selling of real estate you might need more than is offered through the courses.  The Auction Preparation Workshop (somewhere around $250 for three days at a hotel in FL and offered after you purchase the training) was pitched as an intense learning experience.  Day one was good with plenty of useful content.  Day two was mostly a pitch-fest for the various TT one-on-one coaching programs (they ranged from $75k down to $15k and I can't speak to the value as I didn't sign up and don't know any others who did.  They sold out of their offerings during my workshop).  Day three was a presentation from a lawyer selling his tax reduction program.  There were other items on the agenda that were disregarded, which I found maddening.

    You should also check out www.taxsaleacademy.com if you're looking for training to get started.  The program is less expensive, more in-depth on basic real estate concepts, and doesn't pitch you anything over and above what you already spent, though there is more training available if you want it.  They have plenty of videos on YouTube you can check out.  I have no affiliation with the TaxSaleAcademy other than having accessed their training.

    So overall there is value.  How much will depend on where you're beginning your journey.

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    @Don McAlpine Thank you so much for the such detailed post. I really appreciate it. Glad to hear that weekly coach calls and daily facilitator calls were useful. I will also check out the taxsalesacademy.

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I do have one that is in Judson Mill , Greenville SC if you want to know more about it.


     I may be interested.  Can you send me details?  Not sure if you would rather send things via email, or on this forum.  Let me know and I will respond.  Thanks

    SG

    send me a PM.

  • Member since 2023 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I do have one that is in Judson Mill , Greenville SC if you want to know more about it.


     I may be interested.  Can you send me details?  Not sure if you would rather send things via email, or on this forum.  Let me know and I will respond.  Thanks

    SG

    send me a PM.


     John,

    Sent you a PM but never heard back? Curious about the Greenville property.  Thanks

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I do have one that is in Judson Mill , Greenville SC if you want to know more about it.


     I may be interested.  Can you send me details?  Not sure if you would rather send things via email, or on this forum.  Let me know and I will respond.  Thanks

    SG

    send me a PM.


     John,

    Sent you a PM but never heard back? Curious about the Greenville property.  Thanks


     I'll go look for it.

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
  • Member since 2024 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Scott Green:

    @John Underwood, Yes, I do know you can not buy deeds in SC.  Not very interested in tax liens at this point in time. And, may be interested in buying from someone with a QC deed after the redemption, depending of course on the price and discount from so called appraised value. Keep me in mind if you have any. 

    Not sure about your comment on paying close to retail at a tax deed sale.  I will be going to a few auctions first to watch, learn and see outcomes.  Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. 

    Is this  your main work?  Do you wholesale real estate or just buy more tax liens for income on notes?


     I mainly just but at tax lien sales. I sell some of these occasionally.  I have a 2 bedroom 1 bath in highly sought after Judson Mill area of downtown Greenville, but haven't decided what I'm doing with it yet as I have several other projects going on right now.

    Most of my rental portfolio has been acquired from tax lien sales.

     @John Underwood. How long is your redemption period in SC?  You stated you buy properties at tax lien auctions. Can you give an example of a recent purchase you acquired and what that process was like?   You can message me privately if you'd like. 

    I am looking to get intonthis venture in my Chicago land area and would love some feedback and input from you.

    thank you for your time 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y

    12 month redemption period in SC. You either get your money back plus interest or a deed to the property shows up in your mailbox with no additional work required.

    I got 3 properties last year. 2 houses and an acre of land.

    I sold one house as is with a QC deed, the other house my 2 adult sons have bought from me at cost. It is being fixed up to rent right now.

    The land I have under contract to sell as is with a Quit Claim deed. I am owner financing it at 12% and 2 points with a balloon payment due in 12 months to a builder.

    I made 25k on the house and did no work to it.

    The land I'll make about 10k on with no work other than mowing the grass once.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2022 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    @Don McAlpine you had mentioned both the https://www.taxsaleacademy.com/ and the https://taxlienacademy.com/.    Have you taken both of those courses?  Which one do you recommend more?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.