Buying a property with a Tax Lien

Buying a property with a Tax Lien

New to Real Estate · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote

Greetings BP folks,

My wife and I are negotiating a deal in our area for a home that has a tax lien from the city and county.

We have been working with the seller for quite some time and were offered the opportunity to purchase the home at a great price, we also have agreed to pay off the tax lien in addition to the purchase price.  This will be an all cash sale.

We have a question about this transaction:

1.) What should the order of operations be to navigate the tax lien and get a clear title?

IE: get signed purchase agreement, contact title company, pay-off tax lien, secure title and then close with cashier check at the title company?

We do not want put ourselves at risk of paying off the tax lien and then not getting a clean title or worse yet, having the seller back out on us.


I hope that makes sense and I really appreciate any advice.

1Reply
35 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    update, worked with title company today to find out just exactly how this will go. As I thought, 

    get the purchase agreement that includes a special stipulation saying we'll pay the unpaid taxes.

    submit to title company and perform search

    fund escrow account

    title co will distribute funds at closing.

    shooting for a two week turn around or less.

  • Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I purchased a property in cash, got a special warranty deed,  paid any back taxes or liens. Now 2.5 years later I'm trying to sell but am being told I can't without a 120 affidavit. But, the treasurer and recorder say I have a clear title. I'm confused 

  • Member since 2024 · 15 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Greg Patterson:

    update, worked with title company today to find out just exactly how this will go. As I thought, 

    get the purchase agreement that includes a special stipulation saying we'll pay the unpaid taxes.

    submit to title company and perform search

    fund escrow account

    title co will distribute funds at closing.

    shooting for a two week turn around or less.


Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.