Tax Lien Basics (Alabama)

Tax Lien Basics (Alabama)

Real Estate Investor · Decatur, AL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 6 votes

Hello Fellow Investors!

Just thought I would take this opportunity to share with you some additional basics that I have learned within my short venture into investing with Tax Liens.

My state (Alabama) currently has a 3 year redemption timeframe and pays approximately 12% per year.

Ok, I assume you know the foundation on how to find listings and researching the properties etc.

My discussion will begin with what happens after you purchase your Tax Liens.

Firstly, be aware that most Tax Liens will be redeemed approximately 90% are repaid within the first year.

Secondly, after the sale the previous owners are usually notified that their property has been sold and outline their rights of redeeming the Lien without additional consideration (aka cost paid to you the purchaser) if made normally within 10 days of notice.

Thirdly, the annual percentage rate will only begin after you have held the Lien after 30 days; therefore you will receive only the original cost you paid on the Tax Lien; no more, no less.

Lastly, you are not the homeowner just a Lien Holder therefore no keys, no access to the property, no look through so etc.  It is important to remember this prior to considering investing in these instruments.

I will be periodically, provide you with updates in my personal journey into this arena and all information is specific to my locale and view-point.  As always, please remember to research and seek profession counsel..the money you save and grief you save is truly your own.

4Reply
132 views

Most Popular Reply

Rockford, MN · Member since 2017 · 87 posts · 31 votes
8y
Originally posted by @La Ferria T.:

Lastly, you are not the homeowner just a Lien Holder therefore no keys, no access to the property, no look through so etc.  It is important to remember this prior to considering investing in these instruments.

This is incorrect advice.
Please see Alabama Code Section 40-10-174 


“Any purchaser of lands at a tax sale other than the state or anyone claiming under him shall be entitled to possession of said lands immediately upon receipt of certificate of sale from the tax collector”

Keep in mind this does not mean that you can just go and kick the people out of there house.  It really is not this simple. 



As well - for redemption periods please see the following post.
Alabama Tax Sale Redemption Rights, Denise Evans post.

For those interested in this, please see  post from the market place. (I myself am very happy with this purchase) 

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    I bought a property (tax certificate) from the AL Dept of Rev in 2018. I have

    been paying taxes on it and maintaining it since, so for two years. My

    annual tax bill arrives this week and instead of the usual $28, it's for

    $2,528. It appears that the city added a demolition tax lien onto the

    property for a demolition done in 2017 - before I purchased the tax

    certificate. Can they do this?

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Murray Miller, yes they can. I'm sorry.  $2,528 is pretty doggone cheap for a demolition lien, so thank your lucky stars.

  • Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...
    Thanks.  It burned down, so maybe that made it cheaper 😀.  But my surprise was seeing it on my annual tax bill.  I thought demo liens were attached to the property title or deed.  So is it unusual to be billed the amount on my annual tax bill, or is this the common way it’s done?  Thanks again.

  • JD, CCIM , Real Estate Broker · Tuscaloosa, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Murray Miller, its done both ways.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Thanks for sharing La ferris I've been trying to do my diligence when I'm not on my W2. Would like to network with you more. I'm in North Carolina. The info you shared is greatly appreciated thank you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.