Tax Deeds in Texas- What are the pros, cons, and risks?

Tax Deeds in Texas- What are the pros, cons, and risks?

Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hey folks. I am a newbie investor looking to get started in the tax lien/tax deed arena. I have been doing my due diligence in researching before I start, but still need some further edification. I live in Texas and wanted insight on other investors experience here:

-What are some risks I need to be aware of before I start investing?

-Are the tax redemptions still between 6 months to 2 years, and is that 25% interest guaranteed?

-What other sources besides the tax clerk office can I utilize to get info on properties?

-My beginner niche market is Fort Bend (where I raised), Harris (where I currently reside), and Waller (where I attend school) counties? Any one familiar with investing in those areas?

-What other counties/cities have more lucrative deed redemptions besides the ones listed above (for purposes of making more money after I get my feet wet :P)?

Thanks and I look forward to and appreciate the feedback!!

0Reply
7 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rockwall, TX · Member since 2014 · 380 posts · 211 votes
    10y

    @Derrick Webster

    Congrats on looking into this area. It can be an important part of your REI arsenal.

    You mention "redemption" several times in your question.  Redemptions do play a major role in the strategy for Lien states.  However, Texas is a Deed state.  Only something like 10% of the properties sold at Texas tax sales are redeemed.  While this can bring a nice bump when it happens, it should not be the primary reason you want to invest in these properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Worth · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you for your input, Roy!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.