I was just hired (though unwillingly) to purchase a note on behalf of a past client. He held a second mortgage and they both began to default. I encouraged him to foreclose faster than the first and he did. He now owns the property subject to the first note and needs them to take an $80k discount in order to protect his $100K. I know my way around a lender, but where do I start? Loss Mitigation? Secondary Marketing? Submit a short sale package? (I do short sales now and used to run a dept at a lender which is why he felt I was qualified).
But still don't know where to start. Please help with any guidance. Perhaps we can trade information. :)
The lender is WILSHIRE, and since its a small bank, i'm actually not sure if they service their own loans or if this is an investor's.
So Capital markets huh? Not Secondary Marketing,,, ok.
That title sounds like you work at a bank and know the exact person you'd be referring to huh... Which one do you work at? I was just laid off in June.
Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2008 · 553 posts · 20 votes
17y
I work with banks (about 30) endeavoring to acquire distressed assets for my clients. If I want to get approval on a transaction it usually comes from someone with a title like that.
Yea I am referring to someone specific. If one of the asset managers is not getting back with me tactfully one call to him will take care of that.
Well that sounds like a really interesting line of work! In fact, just doing the research I've been doing has sparked an interest in me and I think I might want to move into it from Short Sales. I also kind of think it would be easier than dealing with the $13/hr employees who call themselves Loss Mitigators who are really just paper pushers.
But about Notes: I just heard that you need an approval before buying a note from a bank. I heard you need to jump thru all these hoops just to be able to speak with them about buying a Note. Is that true? What have you found.
I would like to buy a defaulted note from a Bank instead of doing a short sale, but all of the Loss Mitigation people I have talked to, don't know that buying the note is possible. Who should I contact and what forms should I use? I am thinking about buying Donna Bauers course. What do you recommend?
Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
17y
Buying notes isn't hard. Buying SPECIFIC notes can be... especially if they are performing. Banks sell their SnD notes all day long, and you will get the discounts you are looking for. You just can't be too choosy about things like borrower fico scores and I/A verification, and you can't want prime areas at huge discounts.
Developer · Los Angles, CA · Member since 2009 · 61 posts · 2 votes
17y
Originally posted by Lindsey Kinnsch:
Well that sounds like a really interesting line of work! In fact, just doing the research I've been doing has sparked an interest in me and I think I might want to move into it from Short Sales. I also kind of think it would be easier than dealing with the $13/hr employees who call themselves Loss Mitigators who are really just paper pushers.
But about Notes: I just heard that you need an approval before buying a note from a bank. I heard you need to jump thru all these hoops just to be able to speak with them about buying a Note. Is that true? What have you found.
Thanks for the feedback. :)
Send me email with what you need help with. I'm pretty sure i can help you speed up the process.
Real Estate Investor · Craigmont, ID · Member since 2009 · 564 posts · 239 votes
16y
Originally posted by Lindsey Kinnsch:
I was just hired (though unwillingly) to purchase a note on behalf of a past client. He held a second mortgage and they both began to default. I encouraged him to foreclose faster than the first and he did. He now owns the property subject to the first note and needs them to take an $80k discount in order to protect his $100K. I know my way around a lender, but where do I start? Loss Mitigation? Secondary Marketing? Submit a short sale package? (I do short sales now and used to run a dept at a lender which is why he felt I was qualified).
But still don't know where to start. Please help with any guidance. Perhaps we can trade information. :)
Any luck? I pursued a few but soon discovered most in the area were Fannie mae or insured in some way and would not sell at a discount. :roll:
Real Estate Investor · Craigmont, ID · Member since 2009 · 564 posts · 239 votes
16y
Wow, I just read your original post a little closer and saw the person holds title after foreclosing in 2nd position.
What motivation would the bank have to sell at a discount if they still hold a first lien?
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y
Hi, Sam, how did you find this? LOL I've done that too. But just to put the info out, get your discount and work out your second, don't foreclose! If you can't get anywhere, then you can foreclose, but then you are in the borrower's shoes, taking it subject to, and you'll probably need to take what you can get. You can probably assume the payments, some states require that possibility. Fix and flip and pay them off! Bill
Real Estate Investor · Craigmont, ID · Member since 2009 · 564 posts · 239 votes
16y
The OP's client had already done the foreclosure in 2nd position and held the deed.
That is why I was asking what the bank in first position had to gain by discounting since they are still in the drivers seat. (so to speak)